Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flux pedal strike.

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  WV_XCE 
#1 ·
Pedal strike.

I have never had this issue on any other steed I have spent a lot of time on ( except the stokers pedals on my Mtb. tandem, but thats different). Frustrated, it is probably time to move on to a different frame. Yes, the sag is set proper. Enjoy the way it rides in all other ways but time to find something with a higher BB.

See less See more
#2 ·
Turner's geometry lists BB height @ 12.8" on a 120mm travel bike - would be @ least 3/4" too low for my riding preferances. I demo'd an older Specialized FSR that had a 13" BB height and hit the pedals left & right. Dealer @ the demo session told mne I needed to "time" my pedals better. I told him I have better things to focus on than absolute optimum pedal position.

#5 ·
I think the pedal strikes are partly associated with the dw link. I say that because as a big guy myself (6"1, 200), I find I get a lot of pedal strikes on my spot. MY BB is close to 13.6" (similar to my other bikes) but I still hit my pedals a lot more than I am used to. I think it is because of the the shock moving deeply into the travel over relatively minor things.

#6 ·
A 650B front wheel will lift you up a bit, and in my experience, a bit matters a lot when it comes to BB heights. Several people I know like what it does to the Flux in terms of handling, too, including at least one Turner guy and my wife.

Be thankful you don't have one of those new Specialized Enduros with 155 travel and a 13 inch BB. I think Shimano paid the designers in order to pump up pedal sales!

Finally, there are a few well-reviewed flat pedals available now that are considerably thinner than the ones you are sporting.

#13 ·
It is and that is what I was getting in my post. For us big guys, the combination of the dw link, with a relatively high leverage ratio, and a crappy fox shox, results in a pretty saggy and sloppy ride.

#11 ·
I have a 2008 Turner Flux (with the TNT rear suspension). When I first started to ride it (3 years ago as I bought the frame used), I had a LOT of pedal strikes. It has a listed 12.8" bottom bracket. It's funny, but as time has gone by, I almost never strike my pedal. I just naturally adjust for it when going over objects by timing my pedaling. I don't even think about doing it. On the other hand, I like the low center of gravity when railing the corners and at high speeds.

#14 ·
I appreciate all your input. Haven't had time yet to respond to everything stated. I am very curious about the rear shock and am open to changing it if there is a better option.

#18 ·
That was the rumors and maybe the case for some, but for bigger guys, the stock RP23 does not offer much support.

#21 ·
Wait a minute, a 650b up front on a Flux? Is that legal? BUt seriously, that does sound cool. I am wondering if I can fit a 650b wheel and tire in the Fox 26" specific fork. If so, I am definitely giving this combo a try for the moto feel. I am in the process of trying to track a rocker for my flux and will do this if I can get one.

Never heard of this... thanks for mentioning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.