Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Time for a new saddle.

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Eyetattoo 
#1 ·
I just have the stock saddle on my '13 Fuel EX8 and it is giving me too much pain even with padded shorts. What is the proper way to measure my seat bones to match a good saddle? Also what brands are the go-to brands for quality and comfort?

Thanks.

#6 ·
^Any Specialized or Trek dealer will have a gel-based measuring device, to determine how far spaced-apart your sit bones are. I was surprised my narrow, 32-inch hips required a saddle 145mm and larger! Most likely - a too narrow saddle will cause pain, as your sit bones are draped over the side wings of the saddle. Once I discovered my width - a new Bontrager Inform RXL Evoke saddle cured nearly everything.

#8 ·
You can easily get a sit bone measurement with a piece of corrugated cardboard cut from a regular shipping box.

1. Place a butt sized piece of the cardboard on a hard chair.
2. Drop trou.
3. Sit and lean slightly forward to approximate your riding position.
4. Mark the centers of the impressions in the cardboard.
5 Measure the distance between them.

#11 ·
You can easily get a sit bone measurement with a piece of corrugated cardboard cut from a regular shipping box.

1. Place a butt sized piece of the cardboard on a hard chair.
2. Drop trou.
3. Sit and lean slightly forward to approximate your riding position.
4. Mark the centers of the impressions in the cardboard.
5 Measure the distance between them.
Saw a video of this online last night, I plan to measure today after work! Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.