Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best cables for BB7s?

806 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ehwik 
#1 ·
I converted my old HT into a singlespeed and ride it when the weather gets nasty and I'm resigned to dirt paths instead of the local trails. Due to riding in nasty conditions, my BB7s seem to constantly have trouble due to cable drag. I can hear the dirt and rust in the housings!

I've heard there are fully enclosed cable systems out there and it sounds like just the solution. Which are the best? I've heard Jagwire is good and I assume it's the Mountain Pro Brake system I want.

Any other/better options?

#2 ·
I used Gore Tex Ride On cables. They don't sell them anymore but you can find them on ebay. Run full length housing. The work amazingly well. Take your time installing them (get the fully sealed professional versions) and they should last for years. I ran a set from the fall of 2007 to the fall of 2011 and they still felt perfect. They give a very smooth, fluid like ride. In fact from a "feel" point of view, they are very similar feeling to my XT hydraulics.

#3 ·
Agreed, but these are expensive.

Another option is linear brake housing, which can be seen as reinforced derailleur housing, so you get zero compression. Kore offers a kit of 3m linear housing, 2 SS cables, nice machined ferrules and around $15. Also Odyssey offers many colors, look for their Linear housing. Jacques is just overpriced IMO.

Run full housing and SS cables, make sure you prep the housing ends flat and well seated and you should be just fine.

#4 ·
I picked up a set of Nashbar mechanical disk cable and housing for $12. It's actually Jagwire brand compressionless housing and some steel cable (I don't think they are teflon coated cables). Great power for pretty cheap. As said by others, full length compressionless housing will give you great performance no matter the conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.