Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

should i buy a 2007 stumpjumper fsr or a 2008 stumpjumper fsr expert?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bertrenolds 
#1 ·
I have been looking for bikes for a while now and have decided on a specialized stumpjumper since i live in the mountains and deal with downhills as well as climbs and the stumpjumper seems to be the do it all bike. i have found 2 bikes, a 2007 stumpjumper fsr and a 2008 stumpjumper fsr expert and the owners both want $800 for the bikes. From what i've read the 2008 was a redesign and was made to be a more all around bike. Is the brain worth it or is it more of an expensive pain in the neck? are the frames that much different from each other? both bikes have been serviced this season and have had the shocks rebuilt/seals replaced so they should be in good shape. what bike does everyone think i should get and is $800 a reasonable price?

#3 ·
I wish i had but both bikes are in different places and i have to travel. i will make sure everything shifts ok and the hangar isint bent. im 6'3'' and the chart says i should be on an xl frame. it looks like both bikes are mostly stock. i guess my question should be is a brain worth it on a stumpjumper or not? and was the frame redesign from 2007 to 2008 a big change. and is $800 for either of these bikes assuming they are in good shape reasonable?

#4 ·
Assuming all else is the same (condition, fit, etc.) I'd definitely go for the newer one. The brain wouldn't scare me away. Regarding price I always try to offer less in person...especially if these are on craigslist. I think the price is pretty fair assuming they're in good condition and need nothing, but a lot of that depends on the market in your area.

#5 ·
I went with the 2008 expert. The brain sold me and both shocks were rebuilt this season. I gave the guy $800 and he drove out of his way to meet me so I felt pretty good about the deal. And the bike is in great condition, the only thing it could use in the near future would be a brake service but the shifters and derailleurs all look good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.