Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

El Comandante Creaking under load.... Mystery.....

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  willem3 
#1 ·
Need some help here. My 2012 El Comandante with the Sliders is creaking under load. I have a new chain, bottom bracket, chainring, chainring bolts, and cog/locking ring installed. All torqued correctly and professionally installed. I have determined that the only thing that could be causing the creaking are the sliders themselves. I have dismantled them, de-greased, and will re-install once I get my new wheel set.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations for when I re-build? Grease or no grease on the bolts? Torque settings for the #6 and #5 bolts? I have a clicking torque wrench and always follow the specs. Looking for advice. Want to make sure to avoid this from happening again. I had 2,000 miles on the frame when this started. The bolts may have been over-torqued?? Not sure.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Need some help here. My 2012 El Comandante with the Sliders is creaking under load. I have a new chain, bottom bracket, chainring, chainring bolts, and cog/locking ring installed. All torqued correctly and professionally installed. I have determined that the only thing that could be causing the creaking are the sliders themselves. I have dismantled them, de-greased, and will re-install once I get my new wheel set.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations for when I re-build? Grease or no grease on the bolts? Torque settings for the #6 and #5 bolts? I have a clicking torque wrench and always follow the specs. Looking for advice. Want to make sure to avoid this from happening again. I had 2,000 miles on the frame when this started. The bolts may have been over-torqued?? Not sure.

Thanks in advance!
Was it creaking before the new componets were installed?

#5 ·
I'm nearly 4 years in with my Sliders and still no noises from them. Plenty from my GXP BB followed by a ticking from my Stylo Chainrings. (Grease on the spider chainring bolt tabs finaly cured it).

But to answer your question about Torque values.

Got these off the website FAQ, I know it states "For Suspension Bikes" but the torque values apply to the sliders too.

#5 (6mm Allen Cap Screw) Minor pivot, upper and lower Shock bolts 90-100 inch pounds.
#6 (8mm Allen Cap Screw) Upper Shock Bolt 150-170 inch pounds.

One thing, I did wrong the first time, was I over torqued the 6mm bolts, and deformed the washers, had to get new washers and then torqued correctly, haven't had any issues.

#9 ·
Had the same issue on a Salsa Spearfish. Ended up bring the adapter for the Press Fit BB. Didn't look to see if your BB is a PF, but if so, good chance that is your problem given all else you've done..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. New washers from Ace Hardware and get the proper torque specs from Theresa @Ventana. I misplaced them. Also, proper belt or chain tension is key.

Hope that helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.