Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB Videos

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  troh 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm still quite new with POV cameras and filming MTB rides. Any comments welcome

Here is the first trial with chest mount and handlebar mount attached to seat tube

Tero

#4 ·
I like the handlebar vs the chest mount. The chest always looking down it seems. Maybe can increase the angle to be more upright in your riding position. The most critical thing I do not feel from all videos(not these exactly), is the elevation changes. They just do not give that "oh Sh@@" feel when looking at an 8' steep grade of drop. Sense of speed, when your flying down hill.

#5 ·
Chest mount looking down - I agree. I checked with phone app the view angle and then went riding. How ever, chest mount is pointing much more low than what I though. Lessons learnt. With GoPro chest mount, I need noe more piece between chest mount and camera cover. J-bend isn't just enough.

#6 ·
Mount the GoPro upside down on the chesty mount and you won't get as much down footage. Just ensure the screw is tight to keep the unit from pivoting on you.

Here is one of my vids - chest mounts are done with GoPro upside down.

#7 ·
Yep, Chest mount, J-buckle and GoPro upside down seems to give much more adjustment and still rigid installation. Videos can be rotated later in Cineform or in editor, so no need to play with settings while on trails even if changing mounting places. Good tip!

#13 ·
Too much bike, not enough trail and no sky at all - seems to be typical error when utilizing chest mount. It took me while to learn how much I need to tilt the camera when using chest mount. Upside down installation helps a lot while keeping attachemt rigid. One extra straight pivot is another way, but more flexy.

When using upside down attachment, make sure camera is high enough. If J-bend mount is facing downwards and camera is hanging low, then it is too low. At least in my trials. Attch J-bend high and hang camera downwards is OK. Camera shall point to level when in normal riding position, or bit higher. Tilting camera higher helps to view steep descents as descents tends to look flat in videos.

Chest mount is not the best angle to shoot descents. Camera need to get out of bike when shooting descents. This, of course, needs that your group is willing to "pose", not just ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.