Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

does hub engagement impact clutch derailleur effectiveness?

701 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cayenne_Pepa 
#1 ·
I've currently got a 1x9 drivetrain. SRAM X.9 short cage, MRP lopes chain guide, Hope Pro 2 EVO rear hub.

It appears to me the derailleur mainly controls the tension on the bottom section of chain. The top section seems to be fairly isolated from the derailleur. Chain play up top is dictated by the amount of play in the hub.

So, really I'm trying to solve that clunking sound and the chain play that is being given up by the hub. Will a clutch derailleur have any impact at all or must I cut to the chase and get a hub with more engagement points? I'm not totally averse to that solution, just wondering. Before I spring for the clutch derailleur and 1x10 drivetrain, I wanted to know if it would make any difference at all if I build it around the 24 point Hope hub.

#2 ·
Clutch derailleur simply slows the chain slap down and facilitates easier wheel removal. Hub engagement has little or nothing to do with effectiveness. After many Kings....I find the Hadley is a great rear hub, for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.