Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Contour Roam/2

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  srbecker 
#1 ·
Ok I just got my contour and I successfully updated the Roam 2 firm ware. Yeah me!! Some quick questions for a challenged mind...

1. How can I import videos to I photos, it won't recognize mp4
2. Is there a way to modify videos to email a smaller file
3. Can you message videos?
Thanks!
Damien

#2 ·
I don't do i anything, so can't help you with that one. You could try downloading different codecs, but again, not sure how the fruit does that.

You can reduce the quality of a video, but other than that, you'll have to trim the length of the video. There are formats that produce smaller sizes, too, but you'll need photo editing software to manipulate the videos. Again, no idea if imovie does that or not. I use Premiere Elements.

Message via....? Text? Email? Other? Most videos are pretty large file sizes, so I just upload mine, then message the link. That way, file size becomes not that big an issue.

#3 ·
i updated my ROAM's firmware, this past friday after receiving it from amazon, successfully, too!

i am also using iMovie '11.

i was able to import the video from the ROAM into iMovie but only after using the StoryTeller app from contour to download movie from the camera and then saving it to my mac's hard drive.

in iMovie i simply went to the file menu item and then selected Import and then chose Camera Archive.

locate the file and it will import :)

good luck.

joel

#6 ·
awesome... welcome to the club!!!

luckily, the update to the camera is NOT operating system dependent :)

meaning, you update the firmware on the camera using the camera itself.

you only need a computer to copy the firmware file to the camera's microSD card.

and then modify the file to tell the camera to update the firmware after booting.

i guess in a way that could be a problem... but, i think you will find that win8 will see the camera's microSD card with no problem.

having said that - i have a mac - lol.

recap:

* download the roam2 firmware
* charge the camera
* insert the microSD card and format using the camera - look for the pinhole
* connect the camera via usb to your computer
* copy the firmware to the camera's microSD card to the root/top level
* edit the file that tells the camera to perform a firmware update
* disconnect the camera
* turn on camera
* wait and watch and giggle
* enjoy!!!

of course, there are no REAL details above. i'm on my ipad and copying and pasting is a chore!!!

the thread has the info as i'm sure you have reviewed.

also, the contour www site is a good reference, too.

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#9 ·
I bought a Roam2 and comes with a V 2.0, if i tried to do the steps on the roam1 to update the firmware the file text it will not let me save the file once i modified, any suggestions? i can change the name of the file then delete the original file and then rename the new file with the original name previously deleted, but appears once i tried to eject, the drive is in use and doesn't let me do it.

I'm currently using version 2.0 and i have some issues maybe 2.16 version will help me, i installed a 32GB class 10 micro HDSD card and once i start recording for the first time there is no issues, in fact i let it record continuesly until i decided to stop, i slided the top button to do it, then when i tried to start to record again it record only a couple of seconds and then turn it off, i can do this severel times and i can not get the full record on for longer time. Once i got back i connected and i got a big file for about 40 minutes then about 5 file i was trying to get it on without luck those other files are small about 10-15 seconds.

Is any way i can set a file size for letting my camera record my whole trip that way i will not need to stop and start everytime?

#11 ·
I am using 2.16. I have had this happen.

Sounds more like the battery is going dead. The camera should be completely recharged before each use.

At best, the battery life is not nearly enough to fill a 32gb card. I can not fill a 16gb during a single session.

#10 ·
Not sure what you're asking. You slide the switch forward, it records. Slide it back, it stops. If you slide the button forward and leave it, you'll get large files, up to 4GB. Then it will start a second file, so instead of FILE055, you'll get FI0055 or something like that.

But it's much easier to edit using smaller clips since you don't have to go through 40 minutes of video to find the good clips. Just a thought.

As for upgrading, you should be able to do it just fine by putting the 2.16 firmware in your root directory, renamed appropriately.

#12 ·
I know this thread is a little old, but I did this little "hack" and now the first 10-15 seconds of recording for me is very choppy, then it smooths out and records like normal until I stop it and start it again, then the first 10-15 seconds is choppy yet again. Has anyone else noticed this or found a fix? How can I revert back to the Roam firmware?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.