Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

90's Cannondale F400, rear dropout spacing..non-standard wheel spacing?? (4.375")

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chimpanzee00 
#1 ·
90's Cannondale F400, rear dropout spacing..non-standard wheel spacing?? (4.375")

I have an old 90's Cannondale F400 hardtail frame, with lugs for rear-derailleur. Problem is the spacing for rear dropouts is 4 3/8" (as opposed to standard 5.5"). None of my wheelsets will fit!

In the pic is an old 90's Ritchey wheelset with freewheel..which I can play with the spacers to "make it fit". But, I would have to re-dish the wheel to make the rim centered.

An easy way out is just to make it into a single-speed. But, I prefer to have multiple gears. Any suggestions?

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#3 ·
funny thing..when I got this frame (off Craigslist), the rear derailleur hanger was "cut off in half" (implying the rear derailleur was not used). That implies this thing was converted to single speed (rear dropout spacing narrowed). I ended up getting a new rear derailleur hanger, only to discover the above "strangeness".

I think you're right..it was narrowed!

How do I go about getting it bent back..find a welder or bike shop?

#5 ·
Thanks for the link, I followed the directions to cold bend the drive-side chain-stay + seat-stay:

Wood Iron Symbol Tool Cross
Bicycle frame Electric blue Triangle Musical instrument accessory Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Rim Bicycle frame Spoke
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

I started with a 2x3 about 4 ft long..got some results (widened dropout width to 4.75"). Needed more leverage, so scavenged a 6ft long 2x3 from a fence I was building (!), & got the final result..5.5" (135mm) rear dropout spacing.

I commenced the start of the build with a wheelset I got last weekend ($50, Mavic x238 wheel set) 7 Rockshox fork (from '99 Specialized Rockhopper A1)

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Will finish it today, will have 8 speeds in back. Rear derailleur (Deore Lx from '93 Trek 7000) & front derailleur (Deore LX). Crank is Deore LX from 90's bike.

#7 ·
I finished the build:

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Automotive tire

lots of parts extracted from '99 Specialized Rockhopper A1 (Specialized crank, RockShok Jett front fork, V-brakes & levers) 8 speed Shimano trigger shifters, 90's Deore LX rear derailleur, Shimano A front derailleur, front tire Kenda, rear tire Maxxis. Large chain-ring needs straightening..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.