Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er hardtail jumps

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  hardtailrider2013 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I just got a Kona Mahuna 2012. I make moslty cross-country and ride trails but I was wondering (because there are little jumps were I go, about 2 feets MAX) can my bike take it? Or is it bad for the bike? Thanks!
PS: I land the jumps pretty softly

#8 ·
You would probably hurt yourself more than you would hurt the bike.
The fork is a Suntour, and Suntour has all these warnings on it because they don't want to get sued if someone jumps a bike with a Suntour fork, and the fork breaks causing the rider to get hurt. Only a few Suntours have snapped while riding, and there have been several recalls on them. It would be wise to upgrade the fork before jumping, but you don't have to.
The frame should hold together (although it is a Kona). And if it doesn't then you know that you need a new bike that is not from Kona and does not have a Suntour fork.
Go ahead, try it :)

#9 ·
110lbs!?

Your bike dosent even feel a 2ft drop. I think you would have to REALLY work at it to do dmg to your bike hucking (like landing sideways on purpose). Id probably put more wear and tear on your bike hitting a speed bump than you would airing out a 10ft table top jump.

Just make sure bolts and such are tight before you ride. While i doubt you are gona break anything outright, rattling stuff loose may be an issue if you are riding aggressively.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.