Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for Hardtail 29er

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CannondaleF9 
#1 ·
Hello, I am looking for a good 29er hardtail under 1500 cdn. It has to be a specialized, santa cruz, norco, or trek, as thos are only brands my 40% off coupon will work. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Ride a Trek Stache 8, X-Cal 2012 with a dual air Reba if you can find one and a Trek Superfly.
Trek has the 29er geo nailed.
If you really want to take advantage of that 40% coupon, round up some more cash and get a SC Tallboy2 Carbon.
It takes money to make some.

#6 ·
Look for a 2012 Trek X-Cal. It has a dual air Reba fork. The 2013 Reba is a dumbed down solo air model that lacks the tuneability of the dual air version. The slack head tube angle (69), short chain stays and 51mm offset fork give this bike stable handling at downhill speeds and quick tracking in turns. Specialized uses a steeper head tube angle(71.5) to get the bike to turn so twitchiness is more likely at speed. That is last generation in 29er development.
The next best choice would be a 2013 X-Cal.

#7 ·
Trek most certainly has the best 29er geometry out there, the G2 really works.
I have a Cobia and I LOVE IT! It retails at 1,400 CAD, and has the best spec for the price with a soloair fork. It needs upgrading, but not right away. I have ridden mine for not even half a season (76 miles or 122 km), and the fork works fine, but the Elixir brakes could use an upgrade, and the X5 derailleur after that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.