Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riser bar vs. riser stem and flat bar

12K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Fleas 
#1 ·
I need to raise my bar a couple centimeters. What are the advantage over one approach over the other...

-5 degree stem with riser bar

vs.

+20 degree stem with flat bar

Which approach is better? Does it matter?

#2 · (Edited)
As long as the grips end up where you want it don't matter, althou stem length as measured from center of steerer tube to center of handlebars, regardless of rise, will effect steering speed. So if you're going with more rise you need more length to get the same distance from steerer to bars.
Bar width will also effect steering speed, and the more difference there is between bar width and shoulder width, the more it effects reach.
Might wanna try some spacers under your current stem first, if there's room.
Riser bars will allow you some adjustment by rotating them. The greater the rise, the greater the amount of adjustment. Sweep, and the more you have may limit that.
With a stem all you can do is flip it.

#4 ·
This is all true. One advantage I've found with risers is that I can flip the bike upside-down and the ends of both grips touch the ground instead of the bike rocking on the stem. That said, I currently have flat bars (On-One Fleegle w/ 15° sweep) on both of my MTBs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.