Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What bike for Vancouver? (Seymour, Fromme, Cypress)

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  rockyuphill 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm heading over to Vancouver for a holiday in early July and am aiming to ride quite a bit of the North Shore - namely Seymour, Fromme, Cypress, as well as heading out to Squamish, and spending a week in Whistler.

At the moment i'm trying to figure out what bike I should ride on the North Shore. I'm planning on renting, and have been in touch with the guys from Endless Biking. I'm tossing up between hiring a Rocky Mountain Instinct (130mm 29er), or Slayer (160mm, 26er)

In Australia, I ride marathon events on a 100mm dual suspension 29er. We really don't get too much technical stuff over here, so my skills are fairly limited. To remedy that, i'll also look to get some one-on-one coaching. I'd like to get much more confident on drops, roll-overs, man-made obstacles, and rooty riding. I've got a copy of Local's Guide to North Shore Rides, and will probably go up to black diamond if possible (e.g. Executioner)

Which bike do you think would be the best option here:
  • 29er Instinct? I'm used to 29ers and how they handle, while it's been a long time since i rode 26. I'd probably be more comfortable up front. Is 130mm enough travel?
  • 26er Slayer? Much more travel, but a 26er which i'm not that familiar with anymore. Will likely be harder riding up hill due to geo etc

It's tough trying to figure out what sort of bike to go for without having ridden the trails in advance! Endless suggested the RM Instinct, or Element (100mm FS 29er)

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
The Element is fine for someone who's done a lot of tech riding. That's not you though to be blunt

As for the trails. Everyone thinks about the stunts. It's not the stunts - its the trail in between. Think lots of roots, rolls; there's very little space to collect yourself. That's where the shyt hits the fan for most riders

You'd probably be better off with the Instinct imo as that's what you're used to. The instruction is a super smart call on your part.

#4 ·
If I were you I would ask Darren Butler for a private lesson and a Rocky Mountain SS Slayer. EB's SS Slayer's have pretty sweet component choices. 180mm of travel might sound like alot but if you want to ride single diamonds you're going want all the travel you can get.

I remember the first couple times I rode a bicycle in Vancouver.. One day, a tandem bike ride around Stanley Park and the next.. walking across the bridge after the teeter on Natural High thinking why am I wearing a XC helmet and not wearing pads!

I think Vancouver should be at the end of your trip to BC. Hit Whistler Bike Park first.

#5 ·
If you have never ridden features and such, find a local pumptrack and ride it with both a 26" and 29" to see which you prefer. At least you learn to how pump the terrain as well as familiarize yourself with rollers and berms. You will have more fun on trails like Half Nelson. Take a DH lesson at Whistler.

If you need a place to warm up, there is always Burnaby Mountain Trails at Simon Fraser University. Don't know if you are hiring a rental. Also, checkout Richmond if you want decent dimsum or sushi.

Next time you come, check out Whatcom county in the States to the South (Washington). You ride Mt. Galbraith and then eat fresh/live oysters at Taylor Shell Farms near Burlington in the same day.

Have fun.

#7 ·
The Slayer would be a good choice, but as stated, the Altitude 650B would be also very well suited for the area especially for the rooty stuff. My Slayer is a great ride, but I am wanting the Altitude as it's replacement. Either way, you are going to have an epic ride. Don't forget to have some local Canadian beer, good stuff.

#8 ·
Can't go wrong with either of those bikes.
I have both (well one is my wife's - the slayer). If you are planning full-days of riding the instinct is more versatile. The Slayer is a bit of a grunt on long rides with many climbs (even with the pro-pedal).

I would say go with the instinct as you already ride 29inch wheels.
Good call on also hitting Whistler and Squamish. You should also hit Pemberton. Each communities riding is quite different. As a result, the variety is mind-blowing.

#9 ·
Fantastic responses - much appreciated!

I've decided to go with the Instinct, as I think it'll be an easy transition to feeling 'normal' on the bike, and it's probably more suited to the all day rides i have planned (as you suggest slynx). I've also locked in some lessons as well. Thanks also for the suggestions on skills parks - that might be a good option for a warmup on the way!

I've got a week booked in at Whistler, but it'll be after my initial riding in Vancouver - unfortunately, it's just a timing thing I can't change. I'll be getting some downhill coaching there as well - it's a discipline that's completely new to me, so can't wait to learn. After whistler, I'll focus on a few other areas e.g. squamish, and perhaps a little further afield

absolutely can't wait!

#15 ·
Just wanted to drop in here quickly and offers thanks for your feedback! Have just got back to Aus after the 3.5 week trip and absolutely loved the North Shore. Loved Fromme the most - the setup there is just fantastic. The coaching from Endless Biking was also top notch and something that i'm super glad I invested in!

#17 ·
I've been following this thread with great interest. I'm coming in from Kamloops where the local riding is more flowy and XC like, but I'm a fan of the steep technical rooty/rocky stuff like the trails at sun peaks. I've never been on the north shore, but am planning on hitting it soon. I have 3 bikes in my quiver....2013 Trek Fuel 29er, 2012 Devinci Wilson and a 2007 Rocky Mtn Slayer. Which one should I bring? Should I bring all my DH armor as well? Thanks!

#18 ·
2007 Slayer would be fine for everything up to the > black diamond trails. Since you have to pedal uphill on Fromme (and likely on Seymour this time of year) you want a bike that can ride up as well as down. You'll find that a lot of people would ride with a full face helmet and arm and shin/knee protection. If it's been wet and you're riding the black diamond and above with wood features, then you would likely find chest/back protection a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.