Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chilcotin: Marz 55 RC3 EVO V2...paired with...Marz Roco Coil TST R or CCDB Coil

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  cfrench 
#1 ·
Ive got a pair of 36 Floats up front, and want to swap out my RP23 for a Marz Roco Coil TST R or CCDB Coil. The RP23 is dialled in and works fine but i need more 'pop' / mid travel support. The idea is to swap the 36 Floats for Marz 55 RC3 EVO V2 at a later date so the new shock needs to pair well with these.

Which shock do i go for?

#2 ·
I really hope the new Fox CTD Float X will have more mid-valve support than the RP23 and CTD Float.

For a coil, you can't go wrong with a CCDB. I love my Woody, but the CCDB was great too. No experience with the Marz Roco coil, I think CharacterZero knows a little about them.

#3 ·
where do we find the man they call CharacterZero?

Cheers. As for FOX, forget it, they aint with the times, theres something seriously wrong in that organisation when it comes to shocks.

Id go down the Woody route (seems to work really well for Chili wielding Knolites), but its pretty damn expensive for me once you factor in import taxes to the UK. I am thus relegated to a factory solution (there is no equivalent to AVA in the Uk).

I just thought that the Marz shock might feel more natural alongside the forks (but then theres also the possibility it might pale in comparison to the CCDB Coil). Theres also the fact that a roco and an aftermarket custom ti spring is the same price as a CCDB Coil with an out the box spring.

#6 ·
Could you source a used Van RC or DHX coil, have it shipped to Craig at Avy to tune, then sent to you?

I know several of us here in the States have bought used or brand new shocks and had them sent straight to him to tune, and then shipped back to us. I've honestly no idea if Craig ships international though.

#8 · (Edited)
Haven't heard much about the Roco coil lately. I had a Rocco Coil TST on my Intense 6.6 4-5 years ago and really liked it but there were reports of them exploding and they kinda fell out of favor with the masses. This was before the quality control issues with the forks started appearing in 2008-2009. Not sure where they're at now with that. But it was a decent shock.

I know the WC version was more active and better for DH but didn't have any sort of platform so bobbed more on lesser suspension designs. With the TST version you could put it in the am or climb mode and get some platform or almost totally locked out . The WC might be just what you want for the 4x4 Knolly suspension though.

#9 ·
As for balance - The RC3 does quite well with the CCDB.
I have an 888 RC3 Evo (2013) with a CCDB coil on my Podium.
Also have a 66 RC3Evo (2010) with a CCDB coil on my Delirium.

They balance out quite well, so my guess is the 55 would be in the same boat.

michael

#10 ·
Update: CCDB Coil or BOS The Stoy

Thanks everyone. Although the Woody would likely be great, im concerned about cost to send it to / from UK / US in times of service. Its not something i could easily sell on here either as nobody has really heard of them in Europe, sad but true.

It guess i cant go wrong with CCDB Coil or BOS The Stoy. These two are the same price here, which doesnt help, and i dont care about weight differences as my chili is only 30.5lbs just now.

CCDB Coil
Positives - works with marz forks, easy to get tuned/serviced, settings on Cane Creeks website, built to last.
Negatives - none.

BOS The Stoy
Positives - Bos make awesome damping systems, comes custom tuned, built to last.
Negatives - need to have a backup shock (and i want to sell the rp23) for when it goes to service as turnaround times are slow.

Unknowns
Does 'The Stoy' pair well with Marz 55s?
Which one of the two shocks would work best with the 4x4 linkage? Both if each is dialled in right?

#11 ·
I have the first edition of the CCDB coil and a BOS Stoy. Both great shocks. They where fitted to different bikes so a direct comparison is difficult. I was very happy with the Stoy on the old Endorphin and was well balanced with the BOS forks. I intend fitting the Stoy to my Chilcotin once they have been retuned, replacing the DB airs. The safe bet is to go CCDB coil but I have a feeling that the Stoy would be a better shock.

#12 ·
Update: CCDB Coil or BOS The Kirk

The safe bet is to go CCDB coil but I have a feeling that the Stoy would be a better shock.
Spoke to Surfsales, seems that 'The Stoy' is being discontinued in June and their service centre still isnt open yet :( ..from summer onwards none of the other coil shocks will be offered in 200 eye to eye.

However, 'The Kirk' shock is coming in June (as is the new Bos website with the 2013/2014 products), but its air...now the question surely has to be, "is the 'The Kirk' better than the CCDB Coil (or Air) ?". We'll find out by mid summer, patience might be a virtue here.

I was also told that 650b Devilles are due in June, as are the 'Deville 140 AM' (new fork) which would be perfect on a racy Endo. One bad bit news.....Still no 150mm Deville in the pipeline, only 140 or 160, big mistake or not believing in the 150 ?fad?

#15 ·
i have had a ccdb coil on my dt for the last 4 years, it's been faultless i cant fault it, amazing shock, it transformed the dt, the rear end felt more planted compared to the crappy dhx air 5 that came on the frame, for the podium and cols chilly we have gone with the ccdb air, bikes not built up yet so cant comment on how the shocks perform.
last year we built up a ns soda for cols whistler play bike, that came with a marz rocco tst thing. to be honest its crap. not many adjustments on it, very basic. no matter how much we fettled it we couldnt get it to feel right. even a few of the mechanics in the shops tried and still no joy. it's getting replaced for this upcoming trip, either the ccdb off mr dt or the elka stage 5 off cols butcher will be going on it.

as for bos. im a huge fan, i had a ndee on the dt for last 3 years, amazing fork, also had a deville on the stylus for 18months, again awesome fork, love it that much that i have got another deville for the endo build. cant comment on their shocks as i havnt tried them yet. again as the others have said the only downside to bos is the lack of customer care/service. i cant beleive that surf sales arent up and running with their service yet. last time i mailed them over a month ago he told me 3 weeks. wonder what the delay is.

#16 ·
I called in at Surf Sales the other day (they are about an hour from my place) and dropped off my Stoy for a retune. One of the issues is the lack of special tools that BOS needs to supply before they can get going. Some of the BOS tools I saw where really well made. Surf Sales Engineer, Clem, has been over to the factory to get specific training and said he was very impressed by the very high engineering standards. As frenchcr said they seem to be under resourced, it's not that they don't care.

frenchcr, if the 200 Stoy is being phased out perhaps you could get a deal?

#19 ·
to be fair, i have a tainted biased opinion on marzocchi. i was unlucky enough to have bought one of the dreaded 2008 production 55 ata piece of ****, after 3 rebuilds and warranty replacement cartridge it went in the bin, bloody thing was crap. never did work correctly, so we vowed never to buy marz again. if that wasnt bad enough the fork was purchased in whistler at whistler prices to,:eekster::eekster:

as for the deville, cant fault them. i had teething troubble at first. i got one of the pairs that was shipped from bos with out oil. (apparantly this is a common thing with bos, they reccon 1 in 10 of thier forks ships with out oil, not sure how true this is, just somthing i heard)
so after my first ride was cut short due to the fork feeling very crap, and strange black rubber marks appearing on the airside stanchion. i sent them back to r53. chris confirmed the fork had no oil in the air side leg, and they stripped them down rebuilt them greased the seals. new seal and fresh oil. the fork has been fine since.
i have never noticed any flex and i have rode them pretty hard, they handle the rocky road (aka devils drop. aka the ice cream run) at my local spot at rivington. that is an old washed out road thats full of baby head size rocks. even hit 2-4ft drops without issues, and tables. have road them at lee quarry, ( my local spot) gisburnforest, and did a week up at the staines last year, ae forest, kiroughtree, and dalbeatie, again the fork performed flawless, no flex or anything. if they were flexy i wouldnt have got a second set for the endo. i will give more feedback when ive blitzed them on some whistler singletrack next month.
i know my mate toby had some devilles on his stumpy back in 2011 all season in whistler while he was guiding for bearback. he rides fast and hard on all the doubble blacks, he rated them. think the only issue he had was the seal at the end of the season, but to be fair almost all forks would require a seal and oil change after a seasons abuse in whistler.

#20 ·
so clem is still waiting for the tools from bos before he can get servicing, what the hell are bos doing, theyve had 5 months already to supply the guy, according to surfsales website they were supposed to start servicing bos in january. this isnt a good start is it, i can see this deal going the same way as tftuned and r53 did. i really hope this works out for clem as i like bos products, like you guys say the quality and detail in them is amazing and their products work really well. lets hope bos will give clem the support and resources he needs to make this a success.

#21 ·
so clem is still waiting for the tools from bos before he can get servicing, what the hell are bos doing, theyve had 5 months already to supply the guy, according to surfsales website they were supposed to start servicing bos in january.
The only thing i can think of, is that they have scheduled runs and supplier agreements that are set in advance and they cant just say to these guys, "put another one of these parts through when you get a minute", it mustn't work like that for them, probably due to the costs of setting up the tooling.

One thing i have heard/noticed is that BOS never say 'no', they just go quiet for a while until they can supply you, then you get the long awaited email to say its been shipped. This could simply be a cultural thing (rather than say youll have to wait, which is negative news, they say nothing at all until they email you the positive news). Its a French thing.

Like you i really hope they sort it out. Clem seems like a decent guy, he always picks up the phone and hes honest, so if it all kicks off soon we would be in good hands im sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.