Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Middle Mountain Mama Race Sunday May 5

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  CraigCreekRider 
#1 ·
A plug for the race Sunday. I have no financial interest in it but I do like to see people ride trails I have put a fair amount of work into. I have worked mostly on the XXC part, but get out and enjoy them all.

Somewhat random pics from earlier races

2011 Race

Emergency repairs take some ingenuity

DirtyD in 2008

Riding the Lasso Loop

Some trail pics from the main XC course
Blue Suck Falls climb

Locust Gap Trail

Stony Run Cimb

Middle Mountain

Salt Stump

Ross Camp

Mountain Top

Brushy Hollow

Bottom of Stony

I hope some of you can make it. If so I may see you out there. :)

See less See more
#4 ·
This was easily the most fun course I've ever raced, but I missed two turns due to some poor course markings which was pretty frustrating (both were turn-offs of fire road on the XXC portion). I went in with podium expectations (I've beaten the 2nd & 3rd place finishes already at other races this past year) but ended up DFL. That being said, the trails were so fun I'll 100% be back next year!

#5 ·
I had a great time out there this year, my first time to Douthat.

It is fun to see some familiar EVMA faces in the pix you posted.

(Fueledbymetal - my bf tacked on an extra 5 mi to the XXC too.)

Next year we may do the Wintergreen hill climb the day before as a warm-up :)

#6 ·
I got to go to Douthat for the first time recently. OMG it was so much fun!!! Made me remember why I liked riding the trails so much. Even the climb at the beginning was enjoyable. I can't remember trail names, but I think the first was up Blue Suck to Stony Run to the Overlook then down a screaming fast downhill Blue Suck.... It was fantastic - I can't wait to go back!!! :D:D:D

#7 ·
Now I am itching to get back over there Jen. Sounds like you had a good ride there.:)

As far as the course marking, I think it is done pretty well. It's different when you know the territory versus racing through unfamiliar country as fast as you can. If there is a particular spot that is confusing I can pass that along to NMan. It is roughly a 40 mile course so there is a lot of country to cover and a lot of potential wrong turns. Usually the most confusion is the second time on Middle Mountain where you turn right on Salt Stump versus going straight down the ridge the first time. Pre-riding the course is always a good idea if it is feasible.

#14 ·
OH MY, my 2nd trip to Douthat didn't disappoint!!! After spending an hour plus trying to get to the top of the ridge, the descent totally made up for it. I don't know what trails they were, but they were just rugged enough to keep me on my toes. Maybe the future will allow me time to prepare for the sport or xxc, but for now the beginner was almost more than I could chew. The ridge is so beautiful too!!! AND I got to see CCR himself!! :)

#16 ·
I destroyed my rear derailleur 4 miles into the XXC totally my fault since I actually tweaked it last weekend and never bothered to check it. After sitting on my bike for a while planning to roll back down the hill and DNF I changed my mind and decided to see if I could make a useable SS. I locked out my rear suspension and figured out the chain length. It actually worked pretty good for the next 20 miles except for moving up the cassette and binding a couple times. Once I crossed the road to the mountain top side the chain broke then continued to break anytime I put much power into it. By the end I had to fix my chain 5 different times but I finished.

Since I've done the race before and knew where to go but I do think the course markings could have been better again this year. Twice I ran into people just stopped at intersections because they didn't know where to go. I think when marking a course you have to think of it as if you're a rider who has never been there, never seen a map, and half out of it from racing. Now make the course markings so obvious that you know where to go in 5 seconds of getting to that intersection.

#17 ·
By the end I had to fix my chain 5 different times but I finished.
Impressive! Also, I agree that more marking would be VERY helpful!

That said, I still had an INCREDIBLE time again there this year!

Last year was my first time there and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but since then I've ridden on some of the finest trails domestically (PA at the Transylvania Epic & Colorado at the Breck Epic) as well as internationally (French, Italian & Swiss Alps) and I can easily say MMM is my favorite trail in the world! Anybody NOT doing the XXC is missing out on so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.