Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heaphy Track

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  NordieBoy 
#1 ·
Hi!

I'm coming to NZ with a 23mth visa this July. I'll likely be spending a fair bit of time in Queenstown, but plan to travel around as much as possible. One ride that I would love to do is the Heaphy Track. There was an excellent feature in Dirt magazine a few months back.

Mountain Biking The Heaphy Track

I'm more AM/DH than XC, but not afraid to pedal!

Has anyone done this? Or can recommend similar 'adventure' rides?

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi BrokenZ. I have not done the Heaphy myself, but have enough friends that have done it and rave about it. So well worth it, I would say.

As for general riding, you are going to the right area. Queenstown (and Central Otago) has a lot. From epic rides to gondola assisted riding in QT, you will be well sorted.

I am based in Dunedin, but am often in Central. Let me know when you are here and I might be able to show you around a bit.

#3 ·
Thanks for you reply. I'll certainly drop you a message when I'm out there, I know a few people dotted around, one in Dunedin in fact, but most are more acquaintances than best friends. As I'm heading out alone It'll definitely be a case of meeting as many people as possible!

I've done a fair bit of research on NZ, but I still have loads of questions. Can you recommend any other NZ MTB forums?

Thanks

#4 ·
Not a problem. It is always good to catch up and ride with someone from MTBR! As I said, I am also often up in central (we have a house in Roxburgh too).

General forum, try vorb (vorb.org.nz).

Otherwise, just try the local clubs.
Dunedin - Mountain Biking Otago
Queenstown - Queenstown Mountainbike Club, New Zealand
Wanaka - Bike Wanaka

And local knowledge is, as always, the key. So just go to the LBS and ask - there is almost always someone going out for a ride.

#5 ·
Hi,
I have done the Heaphy it's an amazing ride and very varied terrain and scenery. I posted up my experience and some helpful (or not things to consider) here Hanging out on the Heaphy - MTB Heaphy Track NZ - Silent Revolution MTB
We rode it both directions to avoid the logistics of a point to point and would highly recommend this approach if you have time. The track has been upgraded as well as some of the huts since I went through and this is the last year of the trial so forget the groomed MTB parks and go do it. There are tons of great multi-day rides in NZ check out Nga Haerenga, The New Zealand Cycle Trail for some other options.

cheers

#6 ·
I walked/hiked the Heaphy 10 years ago. Beautiful trail with diverse scenery from native rainforest to mountain tussock to rugged coastal bush. I would jump at the opportunity to mountain bike the trail. Hiking it was a bit of a logistical nightmare as it is a long way from the start in Collingwood to the finish in Karamea. But biking you could always cycle both ways as tahic mentioned. Sounds brilliant.

Definitely recommend from my hiking experience. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Thanks for your replies and sorry for my slow reply!

I'm sold on the trip then. I didn't realise it was only on trial until September 30th!! I'd better get something booked up.
I'm still trying to get my head around the seasons and the weather changes, I hear it rains quite a bit in that area through winter, do you think it would be fairly dry in September? Living in the UK I'm used to rain, but would prefer to ride it in fair conditions. :)

Potentially looking to go with these guys: http://ridehousemartin.com/

Thanks for all the links and the blog post. I do appreciate that Queenstown is fairly built up and definitely want to experience the rural side of NZ, so this is all helping a confused Brit!!!

Cheers

#8 ·
Our winter is starting rather late here this year, so it might be rather wet then. However, the seasonal nature of that trail means you just ride it :)

Sven and Anka are awesome. I would highly recommend using ridehousemartin. :thumbsup:

QT might be built up, but it is rather small. It is not difficult or time consuming to find yourself in the middle of nowhere rather quickly.

#9 ·
Our winter is starting rather late here this year, so it might be rather wet then. However, the seasonal nature of that trail means you just ride it :)

Sven and Anka are awesome. I would highly recommend using ridehousemartin. :thumbsup:

QT might be built up, but it is rather small. It is not difficult or time consuming to find yourself in the middle of nowhere rather quickly.
This!!!

If you are coming from the UK Queenstown is a tiny little village really. In NZ you''ll find you can get out into the country very quickly. Especially in the South Island. Don't be put off by the built up aspect. Maybe it is compared to 15-20 years ago but Queenstown is still absolutely beautiful and there is a lot of great mountain bike trails among many other great outdoor activities. September is early spring in NZ but it can still be pretty cold and/or wet. But the Heaphy is a lot further north than Queenstown and it's mostly at sea level so temperatures should be reasonably moderate.

Have fun. I'm envious! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Thanks guys,

Everything you've said is very reassuring. There's not many places in the U.K you can truly get lost nowadays. Having lived in London for the last few years I'm excited by the prospect of tents, sleeping bags, fresh air and actually seeing stars in the sky, let alone biking! I can't wait.

I think you'll struggle to get rid of me!! :)

Thanks again

#16 ·
Thanks guys,

Everything you've said is very reassuring. There's not many places in the U.K you can truly get lost nowadays. Having lived in London for the last few years I'm excited by the prospect of tents, sleeping bags, fresh air and actually seeing stars in the sky, let alone biking! I can't wait.

I think you'll struggle to get rid of me!! :)

Thanks again
I lived in London in the mid nineties then came back to NZ and travelled around with my then British girlfriend for a couple of months living out of a car with a small tent. We had a ball! Hiked several of the 'Great Walks' and free camped all over the South Island. You'll love it. Just watch out for the sand flies!

#19 ·
Thanks for the tip.. I'll be checking this thread when summer comes round and getting to as many of these locations as possible.

It's scary to think that London alone has a population of 8.2 million. You guys have the right idea with regards to border control!!

#24 ·
I've both walked and ridden the Heaphy, all be it quite a few years ago. Imho it's much better walking trail. The only good bit was the downhill on the west coast side . The rest was , well a walking track. Riding walking tracks is like the riding trails 15 years.

It's ok if you want a nostalgic experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.