Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Torrington area trails?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  iceboxsteve 
#1 ·
I just moved to the burville area of Torrington up here at Lakeridge. I'm looking for some trails within a 20 mile radius of here. Heading to nepaug today then burr pond this weekend

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
Yup did that yesterday would be amazing for aerobic if it wasn't packed with people. My old trail was the rails to trails in Vernon that goes to Windham I wish there was something like that over on this side of the state

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#6 ·
try Larkin Bridal trail at rt 63 trailhead off exit 17 i84 right off rt8. at least none of it is paved, stonedust & mud, 10 miles long, good ride with many interesting side trail offshoots. I ride it weekly. Hop brook park trails at eastern end, also southford falls park trails on western end side. Give it a try!

#11 ·
There is lots to explore at West Hartford Resevoir. Parking is off 44 once over Avon mountain. There is everything from good tech, to simple trails.

http://www.themdc.com/talcmap.pdf

There are also trails by Gilbert high school in winsted. I could not find a map, but there was a cross country race series that went there.

#12 ·
I live right across the 8 from Burrville. How did you like Nepaug - great place, particularly if you like the freeride thing. Within 20 miles my favorite by far is Nassahegan in Burlington. There is reportedly about 90 miles of trail there, from fairly buff to gnarly. If you are easing back in to mtb White Memorial in Litchfield will offer some doubletrack and buff single track. As noted above, WH reservoir has good trails for all different levels of riding. Winsted Woods is real handy, but I don't know if it is open to the public on non-race days.

Easiest was to find local trails is on a couple of websites - crankfire and bikerag. Go to the map section and you will be impressed with the number of trails within about an hour drive.

If you want a tour of Nassy some time I'll be happy to show you around. I think Bikers Edge holds a group ride there now that the riding season is getting into full swing.

#13 ·
I used to live in Torrington. The front half of Burr pond is nice but as you approach the back side it gets too rockey. Its really just a hiking trail. You can go over to the left side, over the bridge and its not too bad.

There is the rail trail right there on the main drag, thats fun for just pedaling.

You can head over to Litchfield to White Memorial. they are also just hiking trails but its very pretty.

Your best bet though will be Burlington.

#16 ·
Bumping this.

Through my activity with Cape Cod NEMBA I've made contact with NWCT NEMBA. They are looking to expand. I'm looking for any interested folk who can help that. My crew wants to remain largely out of the picture. And besides, NEMBA is looking at different places. The big 3 to start are probably Tunxis, People's/American Legion, and Burr/Paugnut.

I know there is riding in the first and last area. Burr/Paugnut, from what I hear, has a semi-good scene going on, but those in that scene may be like my crew and want to remain beyond the borders of NEMBA. While there is riding there, from what I know, its largely illegal.

I know Tunxis has riding as I've done it. But I don't know the trails, I was always led and it was only a few rides. From what I know People's/AL is mainly a hiking only forest, but there is possibly to expand/legitimize.

If you ride these areas, live in these areas, know people who ride these areas, and want to be a part of your community and see MTB expand in the NW CT corner please contact me.

Even if you want to contact me and say "Go f$%& yourself and take your NEMBA with you", please do. Like I said, my best friends said the same thing. This is as much about gauging local interest as it is to gauge trails. Yes, I may try to steer you to the dark side, but just be honest.

Any and all help is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.