Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a good LBS in the Fairfield area

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  straycatkid 
#1 ·
Took my first trip to Sprain Ridge yesterday and all I got was a lousy bent wheel...

First time I've damaged a wheel before, and the guys I was with were split on whether or not it could be repaired. I found Cycle Dynamics on the Google but was told they can be very expensive. Moved to Fairfield, just off of Exit 24 on I95, last November so I don't know the bike shops. Just need a recommendation on a good shop in the area.

Anyone know of Chris's Spoke and Wheel in Bridgeport? Reading some good reviews for that one.

Thanks,
Steve

#7 ·
Depending on the age of wheel and if you bought the MPP when you bought the wheelset, you might be able to get a mavic replacement warranty. If not, I think you can get another rim and have it rebuilt/laced to the existing hub (probably best if you want to match front and back but you'll have new rim $ + spokes $ + labor $).

So you'll either be bike less while the replacement and work are in-bound, or you can buy a new front (really, anything with disc tabs, 26'' rim, and 9mm QR and you're in business) to ride in the interim or just get a new front all together.

Think the only 9mm QR I have is a Chris King hub to a DT Swiss something XC-ish rim, I may have something a bit less bling but I'll have to check.

#8 ·
Cycle Dynamics has always been reasonable price wise in my experience. They've also been very helpful with warranty issues and general advice. I would, and frequently do, use them.

Smart Cycles has also been great to me over the years. Alex is extremely knowledgeable and often has coupons on his website.

I don't think you could go wrong at either of those shops.

#10 ·
Turns out Smart Cycles is located halfway between home and work, so I stopped by there on my break today. Brought the wheel in and the mech put it in the truing stand, gave it spin. He laughed and said, "No F*cking way." It was done. He says he should hopefully be able to reuse my spokes, the hub is fine, but the rim will be replaced. Definitely agree to what was said here, very knowledgeable, nice guy. Looking forward to seeing the new and improved wheel.

Thanks again for the offer, Friar, but I kinda just bit the bullet and decided I'd be happy with a new wheel. I'll let you guys know how this turns out.
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.