Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1996 Super V upgrades

767 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 ·
Looking for advice on upgrading the front fork. Currently running an old beat up Moto FR. What amount of travel should I be looking for in a replacement fork.

#4 ·
Hmmm, forgot that those were 1 1/8". Was thinking it'd be a straight swap.

You'd need a Cannondale headset (about $60) Cannondale stem (about the same) and basic tools.

So, you might be better off just getting a cheap Rock Shox or something, if only so you can use the current stem and headset you have, otherwise, know that your frame will take the aforementioned types, if you want to keep it "Cannondaley"...

#5 ·
Yes definitely want to leave it "Cannondaley". I do everything else on my bikes but have never tackled the headset on the Super V. Isn't there a "Star Tool" or something like that? Im going to see if Cane Creek has a compatible headset as well. Do you know of a link to some step by step instructions?

#6 ·
Star nut is for the one you currently have. Leftys and Headshocks don't have them.

Yes, to remove and install headsets, you'll need some tools, some are $$$. Likely better to have a shop do that, unless you just want to spend the dough, and like tools!

Cane Creek offers nothing in Cannondale headsets for their forks. Cannondale to other steerer sizes? Yes.

Cannondale headset is what you need, nothing else will work. Ditto for stem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.