Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Magnetic pedals

7K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  AZ 
#1 ·
So I was browsing the site today, and reading a couple threads on pedals, when I suddenly had a light bulb above the head idea.
Why not magnetic pedals? They could secure your foot better then platforms, and not be as hard to break away from as clipless. In my limited experience with clipless I haven't rode as well because I was worried about not getting my foot unclipped if needed, but at the same time, my riding suffers with platforms because my feet bounce off. I believe magnets could solve both issues to a degree.

I did some internet searching and found that 2 companies recently had the idea, Protonlocks and Mavic. From what I can find (I'm on a work computer so many sites are blocked to include Proton and Mavic), it looks like they came around in 2009 but never took off. In fact the first patent for magnetic pedals was issued in 1896 to Henry Tudor. The cost probably had a big part in these not becoming popular since ProtonLocks version started at $145ish, and Mavic was requiring specific shoes you would have to buy.

Anyone have more info on if this is still something in the works, or why it was scrapped? I would be willing to give them a try if the price wasn't too steep.

#4 ·
I don't think weight would be too much of a problem, neodymium magnets can have a mighty power to weight ratio. I'd guess that any kind of dirt between magnetic faces would affect the attraction so much as to make the idea impractical. Certainly for an inherently grubby environment like the sole of an MTB shoe.

#11 ·
I think I understand what the OP is talking about.

Not as strong a grip as clipless (for easy escape) but stronger than flat.

I would be willing to try a magnetic shoe/pedal combination. I'm not convinced that the magnet would have to be incredibly strong in order to feel the difference between that and a regular platform pedal.

The link above looks like a pretty good system (if it works) if you're a clip-less person but as a platform rider, I don't like the idea of the foot positioning. I move my feet around while I ride.

I don't think the system is designed to replace clip-less. It's meant to be an in-between.

I'd definitely want to demo the system before shelling out the $200 or more that it would cost.

#6 ·
Those would be some good reasons as to why it probably didn't become a success.

Of course a magnet might have been useful the other day when my buddy dropped his master link in the middle of the trail and we couldn't find it.... lol

#8 ·
I don't see how these would really be any easier to get out of. With magnets, the force holding you in when riding would be the same as the force working against you when you try to unclip. So either they would not hold you in too well, or be a b!tch to get out of.

Once you learn how to unclip from most pedals, there is not much resistance keeping you in.

#9 ·
Off topic (only because on-topic, this magnet idea has already been thoroughly destroyed by posters above)

First-time clipless users have to put in the work! You don't strap on your first pair of clips and go trail riding, unless you want to have any number of experiences that will condition your mind and body to fear clips.

You ride around your front yard, or your local park, for several hours, across several days, developing muscle memory for the unclip motion your particular setup requires, on both legs. Pedaling slowly, pedaling quickly, track standing, bottom of the stroke, top of the stroke, leaning into a fall, whatever. It's called practice. Going out trail riding to learn to use clips is like going into the woods thinking you'll learn to bunnyhop when you get to a downed tree, only with more crashing.

#12 ·
I didn't just jump on a hard trail and ride clipped in the first time. I took the time to ride around and get comfortable on the road first and then some easy trails. But there is still a huge difference between riding clipped in on pavement, a semi-rough dirt trail, and rocky climbs/drops. Especially when you know what's coming up the trail and how you have handled it previously, you can't feel comfortable first time through.

#20 ·
So I was browsing the site today, and reading a couple threads on pedals, when I suddenly had a light bulb above the head idea.

Why not magnetic pedals? They could secure your foot better then platforms, and not be as hard to break away from as clipless. In my limited experience with clipless I haven't rode as well because I was worried about not getting my foot unclipped if needed, but at the same time, my riding suffers with platforms because my feet bounce off. I believe magnets could solve both issues to a degree.
Because you can only sell this idea to a non-clipless users, unclipping the clipless is not the issues for most riders. It's a big issues for ones who has not use it. Going magnetic would freak everyone out except the non clipless users:D

#25 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. This was just about an idea I had and some interest in views on why it never caught on.

I think the biggest problem would be cost. The weight can be worked around as there are lighter magnets out there, unless you are a "weight weenie", and then I don't think there is a magnet strong enough to hold anything for that low a weight. The dust would really only be a factor if it was a weak magnet or you had a lot of it on there because you didn't clean it off.

Oh well, not like I have the money or means to try and start this up again. Maybe in a few years some company will try it again, and it will take off as the hottest new thing.

#26 ·
Maybe not on pedals, but possibly for some other uses on a bike. Honestly though, the weight/cost for a strong enough magnet might get $$.

Plus, what happens if you walk around in your shoes with magnets on the bottom? You might start picking things up you don't want stuck to your sole ;)

#33 ·
What if I had a small steel plate implanted on the top of my head. Then I could put a magnet inside my helmet and cut all the annoying straps off! Plus my light could attach using the same magnet on the outside/top of the helmet. So many possibilites! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.