Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier WxB v TNF Bracket Jacket

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Beemo 
#1 ·
I am looking for a winter jacket for the trails and commuting. I believe I have narrowed down the options between these two jackets: the Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier WxB Jacket and The North Face Bracket Jacket. I am also open to suggestions.

It looks like the Bracket Jacket would be more versatile for other things, such as wearing the jacket on a chilly day without biking; but I am purchasing the jacket mainly for biking purposes. I don't get cold too easily, but it looks like the Izumi might be warmer. However, it looks as if the North Face jacket would be more conducive to layering.

I appreciate any advice anyone could give on the subject.

Pearl Izumi:

Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Barrier WxB Jacket: Clothing

TNF:

The North Face Men's Bracket Jacket

#2 ·
Both quality that will work well. You won't know which one is better till you try on the fit. I have a Pearl Izumi jacket that's so stylish (Wooly) that my girlfriend bought the women's version and she doesn't bike. Only a guess but I'd think the Pearl Izumi would be a bit tighter fit.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I am assuming the Izumi will be a tighter fit as well. I am 6' 195ish and was leaning towards TNF for that reason. I never knew choosing a jacket would be so difficult! Both jackets are stylish, so it makes it that much harder. I was also looking at some soft shells, though at this price point, I am not sure you will find two better jackets. I hate to say it, but it may come down to the pockets -- a feature that isn't too important to me! TNF also comes with a hood, though I don't think I would ever use it for biking purposes...and the Izumi has the snaps for a hood should you really want one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.