Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Good deals on Merino Wool base layers?

28K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  Legbacon 
#1 ·
I'm looking to try some Merino wool for a base layer instead of the synthetic stuff I have been using. Where are some good places to get some deals on it? I've searched around a little bit and it seems like Serra Trading Post has some decent deals. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm looking to try some Merino wool for a base layer instead of the synthetic stuff I have been using. Where are some good places to get some deals on it? I've searched around a little bit and it seems like Serra Trading Post has some decent deals. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks!
STP is one of the best places to look.

The Ibex site also has an Outlet page with closeouts

#15 ·
If you do the STP thang, go sign up for their daily deal, it will introduce you to additional % off by email. This may or may not apply to that smartwool base layer (their sleeveless are nice), or that ibex as examples, but in the last 3 weeks they both/many were applicable -one time or another. I try to never pay the straight percentage off at STP.
When you have done your shopping (merino scrounges for me certainly), then I sign off their mailing list -deal notifier. ( I spent $28 - $38 on the SW, and Ibex. And yes their merino is nice;weave, construction.)

#17 ·
Depending on your location and whether or not there is one nearby, don't be above checking out a TJ Maxx store for this stuff too. My local TJ Maxx has supplied me with various wool products from Icebreakers, Helly Hansen, Bridgedale, and Smartwool; all at dirt cheap prices.

My most recent purchase was Icebreakers merino wool cycling socks for $2.99 a pair and Keen merino wool liner socks for $2.99 a pair as well. I saw some merino layering tops last time I was there for something like $9.99, but I'm not in the market for them so I don't remember the brand. I've been buying cycling/outdoor gear from them for years, so I just keep checking back once a month or so to see whats new or marked down for fast closeout.

#5 ·
I'm a huge proponent of good quality Merino, and my closet/gear bag has Icebreaker, i/o bio, Smartwool, etc. from our local STP and places like backcountry.com And not to get off topic or be a Debbie Downer, but my favorite baselayer is a "dreaded" poly Craft t-shirt. For some reason it does not stink nor won't stink, and it dries about 10 times faster than my thinnest Merino. As for staying warm when wet, well, it never gets wet because it's so thin and wicks to the next layer.....which is always Merino (often a 260g item). Craft makes a cold weather base layer and a base layer for super hot weather (it's the layer you often see racers wearing even when their jerseys are unzipped. The Craft base layer is so good it almost gives polyester a good name. Nah, it's not that good. :D But it is good enough that I returned two smartwool base layers to backcountry.com last week. It's worth checking out if purchased from a place with a great return policy.

#7 ·
Be warned, while it works Stoic is not the quality of Ibex, Icebreaker, I/O Bio or Patagonia. My Patagonia merino base is even more comfortable than Ibex, though not quite as warm as it's thinner and generally a better weight for cycling unless it's below freezing. Own all 5 brands, 0% fleece, it all got given away but having dogs makes fleece and it's attraction to hair a very bad thing.

#12 ·
Call all the local outdoors stores in your area and ask about their specials/coupons. Many stores send out coupons for a percentage off retail if you're part of their mailing list, have random sales over weekends, or have customer appreciation nights for those people on the mailing list where there is a discount. If the employee you talk to has worked at the store for a year or two (or longer) they will know when the sales typically happen and if you ask nicely they might share the inside info. There are also seasonal clearances for getting rid of that season's styles/colors in preparation for the new stuff. Unfortunately for you fall clearances rarely happen as the fall/holiday season is the best time for business at those stores and clearances are not needed. Also check the clearance racks, at the stores I have worked in it is not uncommon to find merino there.

Also, if you buy at a local store, if you are buying a lot of stuff at once you can probably ask for a discount on your entire purchase. At the stores I have worked at if you're buying about $700+ in gear the store will give about 15-20% off the entire purchase. If you are personable and engage in conversation about outdoors stuff with the employees you are more likely to be treated well and given a good discount. So if you need some other winter gear or are buying holiday gifts you can save some money that way. Or you could just do a group buy with your friends and just send one person in to get everything on the list and then everyone gets a good deal.

#13 ·
Call all the local outdoors stores in your area and ask about their specials/coupons. Many stores send out coupons for a percentage off retail if you're part of their mailing list, have random sales over weekends, or have customer appreciation nights for those people on the mailing list where there is a discount. If the employee you talk to has worked at the store for a year or two (or longer) they will know when the sales typically happen and if you ask nicely they might share the inside info. There are also seasonal clearances for getting rid of that season's styles/colors in preparation for the new stuff. Unfortunately for you fall clearances rarely happen as the fall/holiday season is the best time for business at those stores and clearances are not needed. Also check the clearance racks, at the stores I have worked in it is not uncommon to find merino there.

Also, if you buy at a local store, if you are buying a lot of stuff at once you can probably ask for a discount on your entire purchase. At the stores I have worked at if you're buying about $700+ in gear the store will give about 15-20% off the entire purchase. If you are personable and engage in conversation about outdoors stuff with the employees you are more likely to be treated well and given a good discount. So if you need some other winter gear or are buying holiday gifts you can save some money that way. Or you could just do a group buy with your friends and just send one person in to get everything on the list and then everyone gets a good deal.
15-20% is not much when STP and the company outlet/closeout prices are 30-60% off. It does limit the selection, though.

#19 ·
If you want really short-on-bike feel try Icebreaker. My favorite piece is a long sleeve 1/4 zip 260 weight Icebreaker and I feel like pulling it down to get a little more room. I'm under 6 feet with normal torso. But seeing as how it's my "90% garment" I must not care. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
I recently bought the stoic 200 baselayer from backcounty. I got it on sale, its still on sale but looks like it has gone up $10.

So far I have been happy with it. I have only ridden with it once and had to take it off not too far into the ride because it was so warm. I wore it with a t shirt yesterday while fishing. Did a great job, kept me plenty warm while standing in a high elevation stream on an overcast and damp day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.