Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

R.Shox Lyrik rc2 dh coil damper colapsing????

768 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AdrianoMTB 
#1 ·
Hi mates!

I´m Adrian from Spain so first of all sorry if my English is not as well as I try, so I´ll try to do my best explaining my situation with this fork, just to know your opinions.

Well I completely re-tune my lyrik putting 193mml of 5wt oil in the damper, all ok. Except that when I use the fork agressively, in 2 o 3 routes the fork starts to bottoming out until the final of the travel, so I have 170mm and I compress the lyrik without the spring and I do bottom, but after 3 or 4 uses it´s impossible to get the full travel of the fork even without the spring inside, so.. i don´t understand why occurs this.

My thoughts are:

1. the oil gets some air or bubbles so the volume of the oil increase it automatically and that´s why It´s almost impossible to do bottom out due the oil

2. Using 193mml of oil it´s too much for the damper, so with an agressive use, the damper colapses ( the fact it´s when i open the damper after this problem and I remove some oil (5-8mml) I return to get all the travel but it seems that the compressions doesn´t work at all so it´s weird...

3. Change the viscosity oil?? I´ve been running 5w oil fork, 7,5 w oilf fork... and I don´t know if it would be good change to 2,5w oil fork but too much low viscosity probably will affect the damper and the compressions indeed.

So I don´t know what to do sincerey...

Thanks for the advices! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely your damping oil has leaked to the lower leg and you get a hydraulic lock. Check that oil levels/amounts are correct. If this is the case I recommend changing new O-ring/s at the bottom cap in the stanchion tube damper side and change also new oil (for lower legs and damper).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.