Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4 weeks in New Zealand

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  bluedirt 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am hoping to get some guidance. I am looking to spend 4 weeks in New Zealand. I don't know where to start other than I will be arriving in January. My plan would be to do a tour for the first week and then ride solo for the remainder. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to start and a good tour company to get in touch with?
Thanks,

#2 ·
Depends a lot on what type of riding you are looking for and what bike you are going to bring. So much to do, so little time...
Tons of riding in both islands for sure. You could talk to Phil at Altitude Adventures if you wanted to start with some Central Otago/Quenstown fun - he caters for all sorts of riding from very mellow to very gnarly :)

#4 ·
thank you

I am looking for cross country riding - 25 to 50 miles a day. Just good trails, no issues doing loops, climbs, or anything steep so long as I don't need armor. I will try to track down the Phil you mention above. Thanks for the response.

#7 ·
One option would be to locate yourself in Rotorua with 100kms of Whaka Forest trails on the doorstep and do some away days to Craters of the Moon, north of Taupo, Moerangi Trail in Whirinaki Forest as well. Can't post URLs as I am new here but google Ride Rotorua.
Nelson's another good option.

#9 ·
Thanks to all the recommendations. I extended my trip to two months. I am starting iwth a seven day tour of the South Island. After that, I will just take it day by day.

How is camping in New Zealand? Any recommended places to camp for a week where the riding is good as well?

#10 ·
spent a month in NZ about 2 months ago, no riding to be done so that was sad, but we stayed in a caravan park thing in Nelson on the south island, saw a few people out in the distance riding and there was a big map/sign thing showing heaps of trails all around the place (also with slogan Nelson the home of mtb in new zealand, or something) Real nice place...

hell all of NZ was a nice place, probably moving there in a few months

#11 ·
Options are literally endless. Rotorua, Queenstown and Nelson/Marlborough would be my picks. Rotorua has huge track network in the Whaka Forest 10 min ride from the centre of town where you can entertain yourself for days. It is also within easy driving distance from other tracks at Taupo and Whirinaki Forest.

Queenstown and Central Otago is a must visit if you are in NZ. Queenstown has lots of XC options at 7 Mile Creek, with longer rides in the district (moonlight trail, roaring meg, etc) - and also has gondola access to the skyline tracks right in the centre of town. Check out Fat Tyre Adventures for guided options including helibiking. Wanaka and Alexandra are also within an hours drive of Queenstown.

Nelson / Marlborough has plenty of options. Marlborough has the Queen Charlotte walkway which is worth doing - in summer months the northern part from Punga Lodge to Ships Cove is closed to bikes. Also in that region is the Molesworth / Rainbow roads if you want to consider a 2 -3 day back country tour. Both trails end at Hanmer Springs which has a good singletrack network in the adjacent forest and thermal pools to ease your aches away!

I'm from Christchurch, which has great technical trails on the Port Hills, only 10 minutes from the City Centre (or whats left of it!!). There is some epic back country riding through sweet bush singletrack within 1 - 1 1/2 hours of Christchurch in the alps - Wharfedale Track, Craigeburn Forest, etc which make great day trips.

Writing this makes me realise what a great place I live in! Enjoy!

#12 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have a question about the Queen Charlotte trail. I arrive two days before they close the trail to bikes. Is it worth it to hurry down to Marlborough to get the ride in? In other words, how good is the trail as compared to others NZ has to offer?

Thx.

#13 ·
They only close the first section from ships cove to Punga lodge. You can still ride the remaining 50km or so. It's a great ride in stunning scenery. I wouldn't necessarily rush to do it as there's lots of other great riding in nz. My suggestion is that if you are travelling between islands by car ferry, stop a couple of days in picton and ride it then.

#15 ·
I have done it & it was Ok for looking but far from the most fun riding.

Attachments

#16 ·
Here is some more.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.