Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC

13K views 69 replies 15 participants last post by  KevinK 
#1 ·
I've narrowed down my new wheelset choice to these two companies.

Does anyone have any experience with these wheels?

So far, this is what I have learned, from posts.

Easton Hubs are not durable, customer service is not the best, turn around times are lengthy.
Easton Carbons are UST certified!
Inner width is 19mm
Can use wheels up to 2.3"

ENVE has great reviews and great customer service. I would go with the DT 240s Hubs, knowing they are amazing, still on my Titus for over 7 years and working great.
ENVE Rims need a conversion kit to make them tubeless ready.
Inner width is 18mm. Can use wheels up to 2.2"

I'm leaning toward ENVE, even though they need Gorilla tape to make them tubeless ready.

I am a XC/Trail rider. Will be going on an Ibis Mojo SL.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

Kevin

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks benja55, I'm leaning toward the ENVE wheelset, but really want to hear about the Fulcrum wheelset. Almost identical to the ENVE but, no tape required. Of course, the ENVE has the option of my favorite Hub, which is on my other bike, the DT 240s. I not sure but, I think the Fulcrum hubs are made by Campy.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#10 ·
Hi canuck_tacoma. I knew that! My other bike, Titus, has the Mavic 819 hoops, which are UST wheels, no tape needed. I currently have the DT Swiss Tricon wheels on my Ibis, also no tape required. Nice not to worry about changing the tape, every nth year.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#14 ·
Understood........just pointing it out so that you don't overlook a good wheelset because of tape.

Unless you're running UST, you should be replacing the sealant every year so doing the tape takes a few extra minutes per wheel. Out of all the pain in the butt things we have to do for our bikes, re-taping a wheel is pretty easy.

#15 ·
Hi Trashcanmike. If that were possible, it would make my decision really easy. If Easton gave the option to use any hub on the market, or a specific few, similar to ENVE, I would have already had them on my bike. I do love my DT 240S on my Titus though! Maybe Easton will rethink their hub position with this wheelset, maybe not. Tried to e-mail them, couldn't get through. Heard from multiple people their customer service is horrible.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#16 ·
I was researching carbon wheelsets at one point. Then came to my financial senses. BUT if I were to do it, it'd be Enve's. Like others said, Easton uses cheap Chinese-made hubs. Why spend $2k+ on a wheelset with crap hubs? For about the same $, you could build a sweet Enve AM wheelset with Kings.

Or if you wanna save some $, build them with Hopes. They're much better than the DT Swiss, more pawls, good customer service.

#42 · (Edited)
I was researching carbon wheelsets at one point. Then came to my financial senses. BUT if I were to do it, it'd be Enve's. Like others said, Easton uses cheap Chinese-made hubs. Why spend $2k+ on a wheelset with crap hubs? For about the same $, you could build a sweet Enve AM wheelset with Kings.

Or if you wanna save some $, build them with Hopes. They're much better than the DT Swiss, more pawls, good customer service.
DT Swiss 240s don't use pawls, it's a star ratchet. You can easily upgrade it to the more machined, lighter weight (like 10g or something) 36pt (hope is 24pt) if that's your thing but in any case it is a pair of rings that fully engage on each other both pulling each other together and centering themselves. It's a very cool system, very easy to service (keep greased, which you have to do with pawls too) and if you do break it, it's the simplest thing ever to replace. The DT is lighter than the hope and bombproof, everyone from XC racers to downhillers use them. I kind of don't see the point of the 60g heavier hope.

#17 ·
Thanks myitch! Just found out the FULCRUM only offers a 2 year warranty, without any crash replacement program. Looks like, once again, I'll be leaning toward the ENVE wheelset.

I've had DT240S hubs on my titus for over 7 years, with zero problems. The pawls are enough for my type of riding. I do love virtually zero maintenance, and durability.

I'm trying to bring the rotational weight down on my Ibis SL, so probably go with the xc. Current wheelset on the Ibis is the DT Tricon, super strong, but, on the heavy side. I only do XC and Trail riding here in So Calif!. The rides I do in Utah, Colorado, are similar to Trail riding here. I have my Titus as my Trail/AM bike. That has heavy duty Mavic 819 hoops with DT240S hubs. Bullet proof.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#18 ·
Ah, dry SoCal. If you don't ride much in the wet and mostly XC, than the 240s and Enve XC seems like a good wheelset for you. Some save dollars, well compared to the Eastons with crap hubs or Enve AM's with Kings, and weight.

If you consider 819's "Heavy duty" then yes, you're a more mellow rider on your equipment. The 819s are Mavic UST XC rim, but they are on the heavier side being double-walled rims but also very strong.

I just can't myself to spend $2k+ on a wheelset. But if you can afford, more fun in rotational weight savings.

#19 ·
Hey myithc, Yeah, I keep my equipment in great condition. Pretty much 90% dry riding, and the other 10%, light, and I do mean light, humidity riding!

Well, Ibis came out with a new SLR, which kicks butt, but, I couldn't justify buying another bike, when my bike is still kick butt! Its the SL version. So, I figured, after a few years of savings, treat myself to a nice wheelset. Should make my bike ride like a different animal.

The current wheelset on the Ibis, DT Tricon, is trail/AM riding, light for AM, but, I really don't need that much strength. Now going for a reduction in rotational weight.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#26 ·
I hear you on treating yourself. These are sweet wheels for sure. And once you have them, you'll be able to use them for many years on other frames to come. They'll likely outlast any aluminum rim with weight savings to boot.

I have to admit it is very tempting to break down and get a set myself. But I resist. Maybe if I were racing.

Ride on!

#20 ·
Kevin, for a light, stiff, strong XC wheelset I'm really happy with these. Fairwheelbikes built these for me. I saved further weight by using 25mm Stan's yellow tape vs the heavy Gorilla tape Enve supplies. They converted to tubliss using tube type tires no problem. They turned my Mojo SL into a rocket.
Enve XC UST 26" rims with custom decals.28 hole. Bead width = 18.5mm. Internal rim wall width = 21mm.
Sapim CX-Ray spokes.
Extralite hubs. Front = 15mm TA. Rear = 36 POE.
1169 grams.

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
As I mentioned previously in the thread, I would not (and did not, despite it being VERY tempting) go with the extralite rear hub over the DT240.

The only real problem with the extralite is the freehub is a wear item that they say lasts 1-2 seasons and costs 99Euro+shipping to replace. I wasn't really interested in burning through $200+ a year on the hub so I went with the 240s with a 50-60g weight penalty. There are a few hubs that are marginally lighter than the 240 (10-20g depending on version) but these don't seem to have the reputation for durability or have as long of a warranty.

It's really too bad extralite doesn't make another rear hub thats slightly heavier but has less freehub wear. The extralite freehub also seems extremely loud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an extralite hater...I just got these:

Yes, their weights are equal and I plan on using both in light-bicycle carbon front wheels with cx-rays. I think they came in 2g less than stated on the extralite site but I think that's because they are 15qr and not 9mm. Oh and they are freaking BEAUTIFUL. The machining is fantastic and the detail is amazing.

#21 ·
WOW xc71!!! Awesome!!! Using the Stans tape, have you had any leaks or problems? Those are some incredible wheels, beautiful, light, and strong! What kind of wheels are you using? Dang, I have the same fork! What is the total weight of your SL? My SL is just over 24lbs.

Did you look at other Carbon fiber, light, strong wheels before deciding on the ENVE wheels?

Thanks again xc71, Awesome pictures and great information,

Kevin

#25 ·
WOW xc71!!! Awesome!!! Using the Stans tape, have you had any leaks or problems? Those are some incredible wheels, beautiful, light, and strong! What kind of wheels are you using? Dang, I have the same fork! What is the total weight of your SL? My SL is just over 24lbs.

Did you look at other Carbon fiber, light, strong wheels before deciding on the ENVE wheels?

Thanks again xc71, Awesome pictures and great information,

Kevin
No leaks or issues with the Stan's tape.Did you mean what kind of tires I'm using?
Front= Rocket Ron 2.4 EVO @ 490 grams
Rear = Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2 @ 446 grams. I weigh my tires before purchasing as there's a huge difference in weights.
My Mojo SL is 21.6 lbs. with a 150mm fork, wide riser bar, 2 x9 gearing, wide large volume tires.
Just got a new Tune Alcantara saddle & power cordz cables I will be installing next week which should have the weight around 21.4 lbs.
I looked at the Easton's, but found hub issues. Really liked the DT carbon rims, but no UST bead and I don't want to run rim strips.

#27 ·
Very nice xc71! Are the Rocket Rons staying on o.k.? The spec for max recommended size is 2.2. How do you like the grip of those tires, on an insane wheelset? Dang, I feel the urge to order coming on quick! :p Must remain calm!

Thanks again,

Kevin

#28 ·
I'm currently running Specialized:
2.4 Purgatory UST Grid (Front)
2.3 Ground Control UST (Rear)

My wife is also rocking the Enve's, but the XC versions on her SL-R.
She has the stock specialized tires. (non-UST) and is running them tubeless as well.

Purchased through Enve.

#29 ·
Hey xc71, what double crank are you using? I was thinking about switching to the new XTR Double, but, it weighs a bit more than my Rotor's. Are you running 10sp? What kind of rear derailleur are you using? Heck, is there a spec list of your bike? :D

Thanks. Kevin

#34 ·
I will probably do a thread/spec list in the near future.
Running 2 x 9 gearing. XTR cranks are nice but heavy & pricing. check this out.
http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/s-works-carbon-cranks-mojo-sl-712108.html
Running a XTR 970 rear der. with carbon inner & outer cages, KCNC jockey wheels, all the bolts have been changed to Aluminium & Nylon. XTR 970 11/34 cassette with Yemya Ti upgrade, so the 6 largest cogs are Ti.
The pic of the rear der. has carbon jockey wheels.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.