Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rival controls question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rr 
#1 ·
Hey I'm installing Rival controls on my cross bike, pretty sure I've got them in the right position and they feel good. I have not installed the cables/housing yet but when I grab the brake levers the shifter paddles rub against the outside of the bars. Maybe the brake lever throw is short and they never get close to the bar?, I'm using Avid road discs. The reach adj on the brake levers is all the way out as are the shifter paddles.

Did not have this issue with my older Shimano controls but the angle of the brake lever was different

#3 ·
Yeah that looks similar to mine but mine are maybe a tad bit farther inwards so they are just rubbing, probably will be worse once I install the bar tape. I tried angling the controls farther outward to get the shifter paddles away from the bar but it didn't help.

Here's a few pics of the position of the controls-

#4 ·
My avid BB7 road disks almost had too much pull for my tektro short pull drop bar levers.

Hopefully the sram levers have less pull than the tektro.

My paddle will rub on the road bike if I squeeze the brake super hard. Dont really notice it but I am also on the road...

#5 ·
Got everything installed and going out here in a bit. The bar tape is Salsa gel and it's thick so the paddles are hitting a little but not bad. We'll see how much brake I have to grab to get them to hookup like I want, hopefully not an issue, cable tension and pad clearance are setup tight.

The front shifting was a little finiky to setup with the Shimano 105 front der, but the rear shifting w/ Sram 10sp der is very precise and smooth, much nicer than my old Shimano stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.