Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NZ Van Hire. Can I get a tow bar?

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AlsTrance 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a week MTB'ing in NZ (Rotorua) and am trying to get hold of a Hi-Ace or equivalent with a tow-bar so I can transport the bikes in a trailer. There's going to be 8 of us so putting the bikes inside the van is out of the question.

I'm finding it hard to find something as they don't seem to include tow-bars. Anyone know who hires these? For those who go to Rotorua, what do you do?

#2 ·
Hey Hertz car rental have Toyota Hiace advertised as having tow balls. Otherwise Pegasus Car Rentals seem to be bike friendly with tow bars. Sorry I havent done enough posts on here to be able to put web addresses up but if you google them you will find them.
Hope this helps a little and you have a great time in Rotorua :)

#7 ·
9 of us flew into Christchurch a couple of months ago with our bike bags. We rented a Toyota Hi-Ace 10 seater plus a 4 wheeled box trailer with 10 bike racks on-top. Was a bit
of a squeeze but managed to fit everyone/thing nicely. On hindsight, we should have gotten the LWB Hi-Ace to give ourself some extra space, but the trailer was great, we managed to fit 8 bike bags/boxes inside. Upon un-packing the bikes, we sometimes
fit about 7 bikes on top and the remainder in the trailer minus the front wheel.

Unfortunately, RhodesRentals does not operate in the North Island. Check their website
to see a picture of the 4 wheel trailer though. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.