Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

One week in NZ....?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  gvs_nz 
#1 ·
Hey people.

I'm starting to get some info together for a one week trip to NZ.

It's very much in the early stages, currently trying to work out where and how much. I really want to go to Christchurch, if only to try and support the community with my small bit of tourist activity, an have always loved the look of rotorua, but beyond that I'm none the wiser.

Throw some ideas at me, how would I get around and where is the best bike friendly accommodation?

Anyone want to come? I'm loosely thinking mid-year, maybe August?

Cheers, wal.

#4 ·
Rotorua has great riding, as does Nelson, Queenstown etc, depending on what you want. Queenstown has Gondola access to a good variety of trails, but there are also other local trails worth checking out too. Getting your hands on the Kennet Brothers MTB tail book is well worth it, would let you read up about areas before you commit to anything.

#7 ·
rotorua/taupo are basically rideable all year round ... another thought is eskdale park in hawkes bay or woodhill in auckland ...

south island: nelson area ... i think quite a few of the port hills tracks in christchurch are still out of action due to earthquake related rockfalls [they are still getting plenty of aftershocks and a few new ones] ... there is some good riding in queenstown, wanaka, naseby, hanmer springs and the west coast, but things are still cold and damp in august, definitely do-able, but could be a mission if you are unlucky and the weather is bad ... last year we had a heap of snow and cold weather in august ...

#11 ·
they are touristy centres but you can happily do your own thing and avoid the touristy bits, but definitely not tourist traps though ... i have stayed in rotorua many times over the last 5-6 years or so and haven't had any problems ...

we stay at the alpin motel in sala st, edge of town, non-touristy, cost effective, warm outdoor pool, bike friendly and more importantly only a 3km easy bike ride from the forest trails!

queenstown and wanaka are way worse touristy places though

#12 ·
Rotorua is good.

I live in Tauranga & the Redwoods MTB park in Rotorua is 65 km , 50 min drive from my gate & another hour down the road to taupo.

If you only have a week, Rotorua & Taupo would be a good Idea .

If you come on the 15th of September you could throw in a 12 hour event.

Day-Night Thriller

You could stay at my place for a few days to if you wanted that might save you 3 or 4 hundred bucks.

Take a look at some of my Video's & you can see what type of track there are in Rotorua.

Jet9 RDO. - YouTube

Look here for other places to stay in other towns.

Bookabach | Baches and holiday homes in New Zealand - Book a bach

#13 ·
I went to Rotorua and Taupo last year from Los Angeles. Both were very fun: good trails, ok rental bikes, great people. We rented a van and camped. The country is built for that, super easy and less expensive than hotels. If you only have a week, you will be happy there, especially in August. Nothing super long but you can link trails together and have fun. Plus, being there long enough to get in with the locals will get you to less touristy trails - although we were the only riders we saw on the days we rode.

#15 ·
Hope I'm not over-stepping the mark here but the company I work for often does rental bike and car or campervan combos for people in a similar situations to you.

Check out this for ideas SS002 - 7 Day North Island Self-Drive Mountain Bike Tour | Cycle New Zealand

From Auckland there is a good week-long road trip that could include Woodhill-Hunua-Te Aroha-Rotorua (at least 2 days)-Whirinaki-Moerangi-Taupo (couple of options here)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.