Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help spending about $2000 on a FS XC rig...

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mountainbiker24 
#1 ·
I've been on road bikes, SS 29rs, some long travel AM bikes, and even bmx but I have never owned a FS XC rig and I've finally decided to give one a shot. I'm looking for a 26" primarily due to the type of terrain we typically ride (slower, tight tech stuff) and would err on a little more travel than less. It'll mainly be doing general XC duty but should be light enough to handle some endurance racing.

I figure my budget is about $2,000 on the high end but would rather spend a little less out of the gate, then upgrade some parts after spending a little time figuring out what I like/need. That said, I'd love some input from the group. I feel like buying used might not be a terrible call since so many seem to be unloading 26" bikes in favor of the 29". Basically, I'm not opposed to buying used if that's the best bang for the buck.

Without knowing a ton about the FS XC market, I've been considering the following:

Santa Cruz Superlight or Blur (I've owned a "stout" Heckler and Blur 4 Cross in the past)
Trek Fuel EX (insert number here)
Specialized Epic or Stumpjumper

I'm going to go into this with a really open mind so I'm anxious to hear what you all have to say. Thanks in advance!

Bless up!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have an EX8 and use it for XC. After I got a road bike and started riding it about every other day, my EX8 started to feel really slack. I'm going to get some flat bars and a longer stem to see if that helps. But really, it's just a preference thing.

The EX8 is a great bike. You can't go wrong.

#5 ·
How about a Monolite? Not to spam you but ironically I'm selling one, lol.

But seriously, they are very versatile. Set up with a 100mm fork they have xc angles, with a 120 or 130 fork, slacks out a bit. Great bikes.
actually have considered the Motolite. I'd want the 120 for sure though.

No worries on the spam, I'll have a look. What's the weight on the Motolite btw?

I also thought about the Trek but for some reason assumed its more AM than XC. I"m looking for something that can be raced but ideally with 5" of travel.

#6 ·
Thee ML is 5.6 to 5.9# per medium frame. I have mine built up to about 27# with a very sensible build. The EX series from trek is by no means an AM bike though. Not sure how light they are. The moto is one of the lightest frames in its class without going carbon.

#9 ·
Here's the update...mountainbiker24, you'll like this (I think) even though its not exactly your suggestion. I bought a used Blur XC from a seller here. You can see it in the classifieds but basically its got a brand new fork, rebuilt shock (that will be an upgrade part at some point), an XT/XTR mix, Avid Ultimate brakes, and a nice clean look. I feel pretty good about this one as I have owned the Blur 4 Cross in the past so I know a little of what to expect in terms of suspension. I think the Blur should be light enough to race and still be able to handle some of the roots and rocks we have here in Ohio and Western PA with no problems.

So, whatcha guys think? Good call or not?

#11 ·
thanks. it really was between this and the Motolite to be honest. In the end, I think the Motolite is likely to tempt me back into stuff that has gotten me pretty banged up over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.