Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram Rival shifters and X9 rear derailleur

20K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Mr Pink57 
#1 ·
Will it work? I'm building a new cross bike to ride on local trails and want to run a 11-32 cassette. Thanks.

#7 ·
Should work fine with new x9 and Rival. Apex will work too. Don't know which is lighter, but I would choose x9 over apex because with mountain derailleurs you have a more direct cable path. The last stretch of cable housing has too make a big loop with road derailleurs but with mtn you have a short nearly straight last stretch. Atleast in my mind, this mean less resistance - though I currently have gore fully sealed cables with my full rival set up...like buttah. Seriously. I wanted to get an x9 front derailleur for the same bike because I have top tube mounted cable routing on my bike with a bottom pull front derailleur, so the cable has be passed through a pulley below the fd now, which I'd like to eliminate. In all honestly though, with the sealed cables, there is little if any additional resistance I feel at the lever.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to go the Rival/X9 route. Since I ask this question I've built this bike up with a 105 group I had and it's working out fine for what this bike build was meant for. I'm going to try a 32t cassette on my 105 derailleur to see if it will work. This will get me by till next year if it will work. Trails are starting to get sloppy here anyway. Thanks again for the help.

#14 ·
I thought the cage length did not have anything to do with the maximum cog size but helped with chain wrap? I'm running a FSA 46t big ring 34t small and don't think I will have any problems with the additional 4t with the 11-32 vs my current 11-28. I'm going to test out a 11-32 and a 105 short cage next week when the cassette arrives in the mail, I'll post back to let everyone who is interested if it works well or not. Thanks guys for the suggestions and help.

#15 ·
I installed the new cassette and everything works really well. I had to run the B screw in about 3/4 and that gave me plenty room for the 32T. Shifts very smooth. My frame's derailleur hanger sits pretty low so I think that is why it worked out for me. I'm glad it worked out because my budget goal for this bike was $1000 and using the 105 group I had defiantly helped out with that. I ended up being able to get a nicer wheelset that will be able to handle a little rougher riding and maybe by next spring I'll be able to try out some sram stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.