Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

in or around hazleton

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bear 
#1 ·
I'm heading to Hazleton PA next week and hoping to get in some biking.

Whats the good word on trails around there? Where are the good ones at? I've never been to PA so I have no idea how the riding is. I'm coming from Maine (w/ my 6mo old RIP9) so I'm used to pine tree roots and rocks. Love the xc single track.

I've checked out the "trail review" section but I'm sure there must be good ones around that aren't listed.

Thanks a lot.

#7 ·
Lots of 'local knowledge' trails around Hazleton- check for a LBS to help you there. About 45 minutes south are all the trails of the Lehigh Valley ( check bikevmb.com ) plus what is still in the Jim Thorpe area. Plenty to see and do but my best recommendation is to seek out locals to ride with.

#12 ·
I live in Hazleton, all the local bike shops have closed. Closest is Blue Mt Sports in Jim thorpe. I recommend them for a source of trail maps and that is about it. They do have parts if you are in a pinch.

There are trails a lot closer than roaring creek, etc, and roaring creek is not mapped. Broad mountain (State Game Lands 141) is 15 minutes away south of hazleton along Rt. 93. Keep in mind that Broad Mountain single track is off limits but you are probably ok during the week and or out of hunting season. There are also a lot of trails around Jim Thorpe. You can actually ride from the top of broad down into JT (shuttle is helpful). Peterson's Ski and Cycle in Blakeslee (about a half hour off I-80 east) does a weekly ride as well as a few local folks. I would invite you along but i can't ride this week nor have I been riding much lately due to work, etc.

If you are really short on time there is a rail trail right in Hazleton that has some trails off it that you can explore a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.