Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

150mm fork on a XS Motolite- Thoughts?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Vespasianus 
#1 ·
I need a new fork for my 2007 XS motolite. Want to slacken out the HTA a bit. RS Revelation has been suggested to me. Is 150mm going to far for the Motolite frame? Will it feel weird/ruin the handling/etc.?

Thinking of getting a U-turn so I can use the 120mm setting for the climbs and general trail riding, and the 150mm setting for the deccents. I live in Bellingham, and my local trails mostly involve a lot sustained climbing (often on fireroads, sometimes on trails) followed by ripping, flowing descents.

Right now I have a TALAS on it, which maxes out at 130. Like 130 for descending, but I wonder what a bit more travel would do....

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions? Girl rider, 5'3'', 125, love my Moto and can't seem to part with it despite all the newer, slacker, lower rides out there these days...

#2 ·
I need a new fork for my 2007 XS motolite. Want to slacken out the HTA a bit. RS Revelation has been suggested to me. Is 150mm going to far for the Motolite frame? Will it feel weird/ruin the handling/etc.?

Thinking of getting a U-turn so I can use the 120mm setting for the climbs and general trail riding, and the 150mm setting for the deccents. I live in Bellingham, and my local trails mostly involve a lot sustained climbing (often on fireroads, sometimes on trails) followed by ripping, flowing descents.

Right now I have a TALAS on it, which maxes out at 130. Like 130 for descending, but I wonder what a bit more travel would do....

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions? Girl rider, 5'3'', 125, love my Moto and can't seem to part with it despite all the newer, slacker, lower rides out there these days...
I think that it might be a little too much. I think that it will heighten the BB a bit, not sure if that will affect you.

#3 ·
I agree that 150mm will probably make the BB too high. I rode mine at 140mm with a Conti MK 2.4" tire up front and the BB rose to nearly 14". The resulting feel was a tippy and high...not so bad as you couldn't ride or anything, but add another 10mm and I think you would be disappointed.

I bought a custom 1 1/8" adjustable headset from Saar (see my previous posts or do a quick search). The headset slackened the HA by a full degree and lowered the BB substantially. The ML carves and descends like a different bike. This might achieve what you're after, and would be much cheaper than a new fork.

#6 ·
I've not had problems with my Talas, especially since having it tuned by PUSH. If I were to buy a new fork I'd consider the new Rev DA....but given that 120-130mm is really the sweet spot for the ML you could save yourself a ton of dough with a PUSH service on your Talas or look for a used 130mm Float or Rev then get it tuned. Just a thought.

#5 ·
FWIW: The Revs are AWESOME forks as long as you do not get a u-turn or dual position. I have had hi end Fox's and Zoch's in the past that cost more then my rev and my Rev is by far my favorite fork. I have the dual air team 20mm TA and have been riding it for a year and a half now. My wife is also riding a dual air team on her FTM and loving it.

#8 ·
Girly men are you all! Behold the 160mm Motolite!

I am kidding of course but really, climbing things at 160 is not at all that bad. The bb is high (14.25) but I am used to it.

It all depends on your ridding style and location. I have lots of short steep downs and short steep climbs and the front end works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.