Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 Marzocchi - 66 RC3 Evo Titanium - 888 RC3 Evo Titanium V2

31K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  cscsw 
#1 ·
From Pinkbike

888 RC3 EVO Titanium V.2 details:

- Travel: 200mm
- Left leg: RC3 EVO (Rebound piston V.2 (shimmed i believe), low speed compression adjust, high speed compression shim stack valve, volume adjust)
- Right leg: Coil spring preload
- Spring: 1-side titanium
-Casting: Magnesium with 20mm axle
- Stanchion: 38mm nickel treatment tapered
- Steer tube: Aluminum
- Disc brake: 8'' PM (max disc 230mm)
- Weight: 2990g 20mm axle included
- Options: Direct mount stem

We're particularly proud of our DH flagship, the 888 RC3 EVO TITANIUM. And once you've tried it, you'll know why. We've saved weight wherever we could and the result is the lightest coil DH fork in the market! The 888 RC3 EVO TI is only 200g heavier than the lightest air DH forks in the market while offering all the advantages of a coil: stability, reliability and durability and no stress. The upper crown comes with a direct mount feature. We listened closely to our pro riders on the World Cup circuit and were able to tweak our mountain bike forks to perfection with their help and feedback. Speaking of tweaking; the brand new compression piston of this particular fork comes with the option to change shims allowing you to customise your fork to suit your needs. You can really make this fork your own; not approximately, but precisely suited to your needs. For the freeriders among you, the 66 RC3 EVO TITANIUM also offers all these advantages with a suspension that is specifically tuned to your freeriding needs.

66 RC3 EVO Titanium details

- Travel: 180mm
- Left leg: RC3 EVO (Air preload, rebound, low speed compression adjust, high speed compression shim stack valve)
- Right leg: Coil spring preload
- Spring: 1-side titanium
- Casting: Magnesium with QR20 axle
- Stanchion: 38mm nickel treatment tapered
- Steer tube: Aluminum
- Disc brake: 8'' PM (max disc 230mm)
- Weight: 2840g QR20 axle included
- Options: 1 1/8'', 1.5'' and tapered steer

From the dead to the top in 4 years, i seriously think that the WC circuit will soon have a 888 on a world champ bike, these 888's really do look set to take down the 40 and boxxer, and i anit just saying that as a Marz fan, time shall tell!

See less See more
#25 ·
its not like the high speed adjustment on the boxxer changes the hsc damping on the boxxer, it just changes where it blows off. the adjuster on the 888 changes lsc and the knee where the hsc blows off together, so in essence it is adjustable. it is not just a lsc adjuster.

#26 · (Edited)
I'll never touch another Marzocchi product since what appears to have been a loose 1.5 steerer on a 2010 66 RC3 caused the steerer tube to crack. The thing was hardly even used when it started creaking like crazy. The crack was then noticed when looking underneath the headtube. It's a damn hardcore freeride fork with 1.5" steerer. The fork is pretty much unmarked. No crash or anything. WTH happened? I could have been seriously injured if I rode on it. I thought they were supposed to have fixed their issues by then. Apparently they were still garbage in 2010?

Attachments

#27 ·
my 2010 66 rc3 1.5 also developed some nasty creaking after maybe 5 rides or so. All in I had well over 100 hours of use on it while it creaked before I sent it in for warranty a few weeks ago. It came back a week later with brand new stanchions from a 66 ti, new crown and steerer as well as new seals, fresh oil, and a custom tune (works package). They even cut the new steerer to the exact same lenght as my old one. All of this cost me nothing except the shipping out to them and the fork is just plain butter now. I rode some 2012 Norcos this weekend with totems and boxxers up front and I have to say this thing literally takes a dump on them. Call marzocchi, they will take care of you and you will probably end up feeling more than compensated like myself. They were a pleasure to deal with.

Attachments

#44 · (Edited)
At least it works for years and does not have leaks or parts falling off!! LOL i broke the DHF TI and Craig built my new one with the MTN stanctions and i have felt a Manitou Dorado flex but not my AVY. Inverted forks all have a little flex but i still think you just like your Marzocchi race fork and have never really spent any time on an Avy can you prove you have?? Marzocchi Shiver flexes too and still a great fork and better then what they are putting out now! I just ****ed my girlfriend for an Hour straight so if this is a pissing contest i got7inches of travel son what you working with a little dick!! Dam i am glad to be part of a DH/FR form that has more cool riders then this MTBR site a bunch of KOOKS. I hope to meet you one day to take you down my trail i built here in L.A. to see if you really have skills or just a POSER let me know when you are in the area. I can show you some serious testing grounds we have here G SPOT,Dirtybird,Sui,Woolsey and my trail PSYCHO named after ME. Craig also said he loves the Marzocchi forks he is able to put his cart. in them to make it work like a real fork as others who have it will tell you if they are soo great why do they need his cart. to be put in and work better then the way they come from Marzocchi???? LOL!

#45 ·
At least it works for years and does not have leaks or parts falling off!! LOL i broke the DHF TI and Craig built my new one with the MTN stanctions and i have felt a Manitou Dorado flex but not my AVY.Marzocchi Shiver flexes too and still a great fork and better then what they are putting out now! I just ****ed my girlfriend for an Hour straight so if this is a pissing contest i got7inches of travel son what you working with a little dick!! Dam i am glad to be part of a DH/FR form that has more cool riders then this MTBR site a bunch of KOOKS. I hope to meet you one day to take you down my trail i built here in L.A. to see if you really have skills or just a POSER let me know when you are in the area. I can show you some serious testing grounds we have here G SPOT,Dirtybird,Sui,Woolsey and my trail PSYCHO named after ME.
this keeps getting better and better :D

so you dont have a DHF, you now have one of their $3300 forks? youre right. those didnt flex. they were 10+ lbs and were great. i had one 11 years ago

#46 ·
Its internal are the DHF in MTN chassis so i love it. sorry for being a Dick and if you are ever in the LA area lets ride thats all i like doing not fixing fork issues. I am buying another fork from Craig and lovin AVY and she weighs in at 11.2 lbs and my Canfield Lucky weighs 47.6lbs and my Mountain Cycle 8.0 weighs 48.9 lbs.PLOW BIKES!! LOL time to SHUT UP..

#49 ·
Collin is running a dhf avalanche fork inverted the twisting or flex is the way inverted forks are which isn't bad mx set ups go way harder than we do and they are inverted (bigger though).
The new rc3 v2 stuff is really plush and feels really good, both forks have great dampers avy is a better setup custom tuned and all shim stacks are rebuildable hard anodized stanchions and internals so almost no wear on surface areas , lead/mix bushings so ultimate smoothness and really really long service intervals.

That being said I run a avalanche cartridge in my boxxer and a woodie shock, but I will say the MARZOCCHI stuff is better than off the shelf offerings ive ridden from the other suspension companies. MARZOCCHI uppd there game and have a really smooth setup.

#54 ·
I stumbled across this thread looking for information on the new 888's. I am looking into getting a new fork, either the 888 Rc3 Evo or a Fox 40 Rc2. What are your thoughts on the two forks? My other option is to take my 2007 888 WC and send it to Craig and have him put in his cartridge. Not too sure which route to take.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.