Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Canyons Gravity Park

24K views 172 replies 55 participants last post by  P-townDave 
#1 ·
I know the first 100 of you to check this will be assuming its an update as to what they are doing up there. Well, like you, I have no idea. So don't get mad at me. Just figure we need a thread for it and hope that SOMEBODY on here has an update. Coming in August, Canyons Resort will be introducing an all-new gravity bike park located mid-mountain. The park will include three different skill-level trails with a variety of features and be serviced by the High Meadow lift. Information and lift tickets will be available at Canyon Mountain Sports in the Resort Village.

#7 ·
Yeah, they've got a pic on their FB page today of some small jumps/bridges. Certainly have to start somewhere but it's nothing more than the stuff that was built at trailside years ago. No way would I consider buying a pass unless there are some legitimate downhill/flow trails. On FB they claim one will be opening in the Red Pine area in a week or so. Hope they've done it right!

#10 ·
They wrote this in response to me asking if that is a "gravity line" or just a "bike park"

"its the skills park. We are planning on building four new gravity trails this summer. This phase of the bike park is a little behind schedule due to the late spring so not sure how far we will get. Be assured, we are going to keep building until the snow is on the ground."

Here are the pics of the "skills park" so far:

#14 ·
I am thinking about it for tomorrow.

I was planning on going to Deer Valley, but am really excited for this new "park". The lady I talked to yesterday didn't really know what was going on and said it's not done but open. Like you guys have already said.

After watching a couple videos and seeing some pics on their facebook page, I'm going tomorrow for sure.

#15 ·
I am thinking about it for tomorrow.

I was planning on going to Deer Valley, but am really excited for this new "park". The lady I talked to yesterday didn't really know what was going on and said it's not done but open. Like you guys have already said.

After watching a couple videos and seeing some pics on their facebook page, I'm going tomorrow for sure.
Unless you have a canyons pass, I'd say go to DV. What they are building (barring the skills area - which is a little lame ) they are doing really well. Super wide - smooth - big berms - features.
It is great to see them start out so well. It looks great! I just don't see it as worth the price yet. The line is quite short. Wednesday you could only ride 1/2 of a short line. The full line seems like it will be shorter than Arcylon.

#16 ·
No pass here, paying for either place.

Thanks for posting. Looks like I'll be going to deer valley instead. Like you said, doesn't sound worth paying full price. Maybe I'll give them a few more weeks and then go.

I am excited to go. Deer Valley is fun, but it lacking in the jumps/drops area. They have a lot balance beams and teeter-totters, but those are well....not as much fun.

Can't wait until this stuff is done.

#18 ·
Not sure why this frowny face is here...I'm actually stoked

:thumbsup:I didn't pay for a pass, so no comment there.... Alley Cat is fun, but really short. Not sure what a lift ticket costs, but once all 4 gravity lines are open it will def be worth it. There is a video of alley cat online, but it doesn't really give a complete picture of the trail, so here it goes:
(the fact I remember this shows how repetitive it gets)
Small Berm
Small Berm
RH hip
Small berm
3 rollers
Small Berm
LH hip
Wood jump
Roller
Medium Berm
Small jump
Rollers
Large berm
Large berm
~10ft table top
Large Berm
~10ft kicker
Large berm
Medium Berm
Step down - ~10ft and ~15ft option
~15ft table top
~10ft table top
Medium berm
Small roller/gap
Step up - wood plank - drop

- end

Sorry if my estimates are off on the size of features. I've never been an expert at estimating lengths to any degree of accuracy.

Fun stuff. Will be more fun when more trails are open. More might open as soon as tomorrow. More people will also likely start riding. High Meadow lift is not very fast. They should extend the length of all DH runs up to saddleback and open that instead.

#19 ·
Oh. And at the end of the day, the climb to INSURGENT is pretty mellow, it's not an awesome trail but someone has been building features on it (which canyons acknowledges, but I doubt they are doing the building). It takes you down to sundial lodge, then you can ride the fireroad or holly's out...

#20 ·
Hey guys, I am digging up at The Canyons for the rest of the summer. Alley Cat is the new trail open at the can. As of now this is the only new trail at the can but we started on the new smaller/easier trail today. It is a skid steer wide so it will have a much different feeling than Alley Cat which was made so wide do to requirements for ski school to still use the area. (which still needs groomed in the winter) Two more trails are planned before the snow starts flying. Pics of the trail are on the TGR bike fourm 2011 ramdom stoke thread. For some reason the site wont let me post shots.The photos were taken before the trail opened it looks better now and is getting much faster..

#23 · (Edited)

I was up there last sunday and found Alleycat to be pretty damn fun!

The step down jump pictured above is 15ft out and 5ft high on the right side, which is taller and further than the left side is. The table after is 30ft and over head high (i know i'm a leprechaun:p). If you hit the step down right it sets you up perfectly for the 30 ft table, then th 25ft table after that without pedaling or braking!!

They only have 1 run open so far but it's only $15. Everyone i saw up there couldn't get back on the chair fast enough, and we are doing 15+ runs on it a day since it's a short ride up.

Next year they plan to use new loading equipment so they can load 4 bikes onto one chair to speed things up. They also plan to open the Orange Bubble lift which would offer, what, 2500 vert in one run?!? They're building a second run on the terrain park right now, and will keep digging till the snow flies. I'm not sure when, but they will have a run to the bottom of the resort as well. They also plan to open in early June and stay open until late September which should add up to about a month longer season than Deer Valley.

#28 ·

I was up there last sunday and found Alleycat to be pretty damn fun!

The step down jump pictured above is 15ft out and 5ft high on the right side, which is taller and further than the left side is. The table after is 30ft and over head high (i know i'm a leprechaun:p). If you hit the step down right it sets you up perfectly for the 30 ft table, then th 25ft table after that without pedaling or braking!!
According to one of the head trail guys we talked to the big side of the step down measured out to 25 feet. It seems like everyone has their own idea of the length though so who knows for sure.

The table after is sketchy in a way. If you short it there is kind of a pit you land in and my friend overshot it to pretty much flat and crashed really hard.

#27 ·
Thanks for the update Krispy, that's a sweet looking jump! I've been on the road a ton lately and haven't been able to check it out. I'm really hoping they'll consider doing at least 1 night a week of evening lift service. With the huge population that can cruise up there after work, it's a no brainer to leave the chair on till 8:00 once or twice a week. I know that I would have been there tonight!!!

#31 ·
getting really sick of hearing this. I've never hit a hiker. I might look like i'm going 50 mph when I have my DH gear on. I likely never will hit a hiker. I always say hi to everyone. Wish hikers would drop this issue. Stop being scared every time you see someone with plastic on their body.

#34 ·
I have never hiked that trail, only ridden it with and without plastic on. I also stop, pull over and say hello. Just last week I almost ran into some hikers coming up on one of the blind corners, and I was not even going that fast. Just because your courteous does not mean it won't happen. Don't assume that every one that makes those comment are hikers. Just to side with the hikers for a moment, I was walking in Millcreek Canyon when a group of riders poached it on an odd day. When I asked them not to ruin it for all of us, two of them told me to **** off as they rode by. :madmax:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.