Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

wonky freehub

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Fenlason 
#1 ·
The hill that bent my cassette, also seems to have stressed my freehub. It is supposed to be one of those strong enough for 29er gearing.

I did put my 11-32 cassette back on, and did my first ride with it today. It occasionally hesitated before freewheeling, and would also on occation pop and miss when trying to engage. :madman::madman:

So my short term fix is a new freehub.. my longer term fix.. a new hub.

#4 ·
The hill that bent my cassette, also seems to have stressed my freehub. It is supposed to be one of those strong enough for 29er gearing.

I did put my 11-32 cassette back on, and did my first ride with it today. It occasionally hesitated before freewheeling, and would also on occation pop and miss when trying to engage. :madman::madman:

So my short term fix is a new freehub.. my longer term fix.. a new hub.
According to what the past Shimano mtb marketing manager told me in 2010, that hub is really no different than any other Shimano Deore level free hub body. This was in front of a group of about 60 shop guys at a tech seminar.

I know a guy in SoCal that has blown up several of those as well. He's a big fella on a 29"er.

I'd advise a different hub straight away, but you certainly can get a free hub body fairly easily for the short term.

#5 ·
Honestly, can blow those up with 22:34 gearing by holding the brake on and jumping on the pedal... I weigh 160 lbs... any serious rider will blow up that freehub.

Look into something stronger... Chris King, Hadley, Industry Nine, Hope, Sun Ringle, just to name a few.

#6 ·
Thanks guys.. actually when I had the cassette failure I expected, that it was the freehub.

The only reason I would fix it by replacing the freehub, is to buy a little time. This last breakdown put me on my 29er for a couple of rides.. and I was not happy...:cryin::smilewinkgrin:

I wish I knew about Surly's new bike... and actually Salsa's new one also. I had been debating doing significant upgrades to this bike, or starting over.

#9 ·
Thanks.. I don't recall the numbers.. but I have one coming from QBP..

Talking with them.. it sounded like [as has been said here] the hub is so-so. They were surprised with my cassette failure.

The new freehub is just to buy me time. Time to choose what I want for a better hub,, and to get it in and build up a wheel. Now I have to decide what I want for a hub. ??

#10 ·
I suggest you have a look at Hope hubs.

I use them on my singlespeeds, and to date they have been bulletproof. They do get a caning because on the bikes I have had them on I have twisted a BB, bent a crank, and ripped the heads of the spokes on a wheel during steep climbs.

Some people have broken them, but Hope's service is first class, and I have never heard any complaints about that.

#12 ·
ok.. I have had several recommendations for Hope hubs. They should be considerably better than what I have, and were less expensive than some of the other suggested options... so I think I might try them. I was going to replace the hub in my current wheel... but I have been thinking of a second set of wheels. One set with a wider, lighter duty rim for snow use, and a heavier duty set, for regular trail use.

I am thinking Large Marge cross countries for my trail rims. I am not sure which for my snow rims. If I remember correctly the ERD for Fat Sheba's is the same as my current stock Large Marge, I have not found an ERD number for the Rolling Darryl??

Of course if I do that.. I will want another front wheel also. What options do I have If I wanted a better front hub than the Surley?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.