Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

anyone build a 69er stiffee

7K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  bigbbs 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a cove or a chameleon, the cove is 2 degrees slacker than a chameleon, 66 degrees vs. 68 degrees?

#4 ·
The Cove Stiffee is a hard tail frame. I'm thinkin about putting a fox 36 talas fork on it, I'm still debating on whether to try a 650b or a 29er the head angles pretty slack on that bike but it oughta work dimension wise I'm gonna get the x-large frame, the only dimension problem a might run into is the tube that goes from the head to the bb all these 29er guys talk s**t about 69ers but dirt bikes have been engineered that way since the beginning the whole idea makes a lot of sense to me. I figured I might as well try it, you only live once.

#24 ·
I totally agree, I think the 69er/96er style of bike will climb better than a 29er or 26er, it just makes more sense, since the motos use different wheel sizes. Smaller stiffer rear for power transfer, larger front for steering and rolling over stuff.

I have been riding a rigid 29er SS for years and now thinking of building a rigid 96er SS. What head angle do you suggest? Same as the 29er or should I look for something that turns quicker?

...we'll see how it goes

#6 ·
What kinda fork are you running? I read on here somewhere about doing some grinding on a talas 36 to make it work I kind like the idea of adjustability but its a pricy fork I'd like a few other options as far as what would fit a 29 inch wheel doesn't have to be adjustable just something that would work good in the hills and occasional jumps and drops?

#8 ·
I just ordered an x-large frame this morning from Stuart at cove, last years model, for 400. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of fork I should run and whether I should put a 29 up front or a 650. When I get the frame I'll just transfer everything over. A 650 should clear with the fork I got. I'm debating on whether I should get a 29er fork or do the talas 36 mod the recommended ac is 520 to 525, according to one of the guy's at cove. The problem is there's not much to choose from when it comes to 29er forks when it comes to travel, so, I'll have to wait and see. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

#9 ·
Glad to see another Stiffee 69in it up, I have been planning this build for some time now but I plan an alternative route to yours. Karate Monkey fork rather than a long travel fork, since the head tube angle is affected by more than just A2C height you should also take into consideration the added radius of the wheel/tire combo. Since the Stiffee A2C is given for a 26" wheel to keep the same geometry for a 29" wheel you should take around 38-40mm off the A2C.

Let me know how it all turns out and I'll do the same.

#15 ·
I'd say get a 650B wheel and use the new WB Loop fork -- if you're springing for a new fork anyway. Mostly, I want you to do this so I can hear your impressions before I do it myself. ;)[/QUOTE Man, thanks for turnin me on to those. That 29" is awfully tempting, I'm just wondering wether I should go with the 650 or the 29". I tried to email em ,but, the email was undeliverable. I copied down their # I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see what there axle/crown measurements are. I may end up having to save some bones for a couple weeks. Still waiting on the frame......

#17 ·
Got my frame Thursday, It's lighter than I expected. Went to the bike shop yesterday and ordered another alex supra for the rear, I am trying to find a 650 rim that's as burly as the alex is, I think I'm gonna go with the loop 26" in 130 travel, If you guys can think of a really burly 650 rim let me know.....

#18 ·
Ride Update:

I took the Stiffee out for a nice moist ride today. First impressions were, why did I wait so long? Having ridden this bike as a long travel 26" bike I was overwhelmed at how well this bike handled with the 29" wheel and rigid fork. The steering was crisp and precise, acceleration was quick, and the bike was lighter and more flickable than ever.

As a comparison I switched back and forth with my brothers rigid SS 29er during the ride and we both had the same thoughts on Sixty Nining the Stiffee, treat her nice and she's the ride of your dreams, treat her dirty and you'll be her *****.

My setup:
Large Cove Stiffee
Surly Karate Monkey Fork 468mm A2C
WTB Speed Disc 29" Front Wheel
American Classic MTB 26" Rear Wheel
SS

#20 ·
It is the perfect setup, if you are ever in Ohio and want to give her a flick let me know!

I took it out again for a less moist ride and I still can't believe how this thing carves up and down the trail.

Hopefully sometime soon I can get both the my Karate Monkey and the 69er Stiffee on the trail together to do some real back and forth comparison. I'm also in the process of trying to talk my buddy with a Chameleon to do the same setup for another conversion comparison.

If anyone wants any more info I'll do my best to follow up and can't wait to see how bigbbs ends up.

#21 ·
Finally got my bottom bracket today. It showed up on the 15th at the neighbors, I've got a bike shop in the Springs building me an alex supra dh my old bike doesn't have discs, After reading about how well your stiffee rides I think I'll go down and get a cheap 29" rim, modify my old fork and see how it rides first before I dump a bunch of $ on a fork setup I'm not happy with, Its coming along slowly but surely....

#22 ·
Sorry guys its been a while, I've been buyin parts to get this thing goin. I put the bike together last weekend and have been gettin all the bugs worked out during the week. Its been over a hundred every day here when I get home. I work construction during the day ,and, I know it sounds like an excuse, but, I get heat exhaustion real easy in this kinda weather, anyway I went over to my father in laws to celebrate his 63rd today drank a little and ended up ridin around 7:30 tonight with my son. I think I'm in love. This is the best bike I've ever been on. We were jumpin a 15' table top tonight and it was like butter. It's still a 26er for another 2 weeks. I'm picking up the 650 loop Tuesday along with the 650 wtb laserdisc then it's off to get laced with a hope hub so hopefully It'll be pretty much done by the weekend after next. I'm takin my kid ridin the section 13 tomorrow around 5:30 or 6am we'll see how good this thing really rides. here's a pic I'll post another when I get it all done. I still need to get cranks, remote seat post, 8 speed cassette, derailer and shifter, and a good stickie front tire, let me know what you think...

Attachments

#23 ·
Got the fork and rim Thur. It's a 150 mm loop. The rims a white bro laser disc hopefully it holds up it's a 650. The rim's getting laced up with a hope hub, also ordered a white bro bronson 2.3 it looked really grippy I would have liked to get something a little wider, but, that's the max tire width white bros. recommended running with the fork, although, it looks like from measuring that a 2.5 would fit just fine unless there are vertical clearance issues. Sorry to those of you that wanted to see a 29" in front but I was a little leary about going with a 29". I wanted faster steering and a longer travel fork. I think it will work better for riding single track and jumping. This bike already handles awesome as a 26". Still need to get a good goose neck with a 3- 4" rise. The front end will sit about 3" higher than it does in the picture above when I get the loop and 650b I might not need the high rise goose neck. Thanks Entrenador for suggesting the front end set up I think its gonna ride like a caddy. I'll post a pic hopefully sometime next weekend, Peace

#25 ·
I'm not really an expert on the subject, but, the reason I got the stiffee was because of the 66 degree head angle it works great going downhill and doesn't seem to be a problem going uphill. I haven't put the 650 on yet, but, I don't think the 1/2 degree or so is going to make that much difference handling wise Willis put a 29 on his and loves it. I don't know if his has the same head angle as mine though they may vary from year to year

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.