Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Putting my Cliff 29er Team on a diet?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Slee_Stack 
#1 ·
I am looking to reduce the weight of the bike and would like reccomendations on the best bang for the buck. Where to start? Wheels? Tires? Bars? Post?
Or should I just ditch the frame and swap the components (and if so which frame)?
Thanks!

#3 ·
The best bang for your buck is taking the weight off yourself, not the bike.

If you are an elite racer, go ahead and spend money on lighter components.

Else, go for components that add real value, not weight weenie bragging rights.

I'm all for well-built wheels that can last you multiple frames if not a lifetime. Ergonomic grips are a nice, cheap upgrade, but *shiver* may add 50g over stock ones.

XTR shifters I find shift crisper for me. You actually might save 15 or 20g with them. WooHoo!

Don't bother with XTR cranks, or derailleurs though. Waste 'o cash. SLX is a great, strong crankset if you notice too much flex on your stock ones.

I put a nice heavy panaracer Rampage tire on my front wheel. Added a nice dollop of weight there along with a ton of grip!

Improving traction, ride, and comfor/fit of the bike has always left WEIGHT a complete non-consideration for me. Go figure.

Please don't become a weight weenie clown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.