Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mukluk Question

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  anortherncrazy 
#1 ·
I am interested in getting a Salsa Mukluk and I am trying to figure out if I need a small or an extra small. Can anyone tell me at what point on the top tube they are getting the stand over height?

#2 ·
yakkoTDI said:
I am interested in getting a Salsa Mukluk and I am trying to figure out if I need a small or an extra small. Can anyone tell me at what point on the top tube they are getting the stand over height?
On there website they have a chart showing all dimensions including stand over heights in the geometry tab.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk/

I hope that helps...

#5 ·
yakkoTDI said:
It actually doesn't. Stand over is given as measurement "P" but there is not a "P" on the frame image they have up.
It doesn't show it but it defines it and gives the heights on the chart, and in notes below so its pretty easy to figure. I used this when I ordered my Mukluk to decide which frame size...

#6 ·
For me, the Fit Chart looks like a pretty good indication: At about 5'9", I'd have to choose between Small and Medium. As a personal preference, I'd probably go for the shorter Reach of the Small. Then I'd definitely want a long seat post.

#7 ·
Standover height on sloping downtube bikes is usually measured ~4-6 inches in front of the saddle "nose", though this will vary among manufacturers. ETT is still the most important dimension when determining fit, however.

HTH :thumbsup:

#8 ·
If you are between sizes, I recommend going with the larger size of the two. I am a tweener (5'10"; 30" inseam) and regret having gone with the medium rather than large frame. Concentrate on the top tube rather than standover as the TT angle will more than take care of itself.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. My issue with sizing is that I have the torso of a tall person but I am only 5' 8" so I have short arms and legs. My 29" inseam keeps me from buying a lot of bike out there. It would be great if someone here in Florida had one I could stand over.

#10 ·
yakkoTDI said:
Thanks for all the replies. My issue with sizing is that I have the torso of a tall person but I am only 5' 8" so I have short arms and legs. My 29" inseam keeps me from buying a lot of bike out there. It would be great if someone here in Florida had one I could stand over.
Like Zeitlupe, I'd concentrate on the ETT, and just be careful dismounting. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I have a 5'1" friend who rides a 16" Bandersnatch and always has to do a "Captain Morgan" when she dismounts. You can either be careful or go cu$tom.

#11 ·
Standover height is overrated.

You need a bike that gives you a good riding position. Mostly, that means a bike that gives you the right amount of room from seat to bar.

Are you going to ride that bike or stand over it?

#12 · (Edited)
I'm 5'9" with short legs, and according to the Salsa chart I could go with a 15" Small for the extra standover, or a 17" Medium.
I went with a Medium because the Effective Top Tube Length was about the same as my "regular" moutain bike.
I have an inch or so standover, and the bike is the most comfy fitting bike I own. :)
I haven't come across a situation where I wish I had more standover clearance. The Small is 27.94", the Medium is 29.44".

One thing to consider... This is a Big Bike. The eXtra Small 13" Mukluk wheelbase is longer than an 18" Pugsley, The Small 15" Mukluk is longer than a 20" Pug. The Medium 17" Mukluk has the same wheelbase as a 22" Pugsley. And with the tall headtube, and long fork, the Mukluk is a big bike.

If you like the feel of a smaller bike, the Small may work.
But surprisingly, I like the big "Monster Bike" feel, goes with the tire size. I didn't even cut the handlebars.

I think you'll love whatever size you get.

#13 ·
Mukluk in Florida

Yakko, I live in Orlando and have a medium frame Mukluk. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and feel the bike fits me perfectly. I have a short torso so the reach is good. I could ride a Large frame but since I may sell it one day I felt the Medium was a more marketable frame. You can come by and try it if you wish.

#14 ·
Yakko, I live in Orlando and have a medium frame Mukluk. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and feel the bike fits me perfectly. I have a short torso so the reach is good. I could ride a Large frame but since I may sell it one day I felt the Medium was a more marketable frame. You can come by and try it if you wish.
Thank you for the offer. My nephew lives in Altamonte Springs and I will be out there in a couple weeks to see his new house. I will try to meet up with you to get a stand over test.

Also if you are ever this way to ride at one of the trails near here let me know we can ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.