Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

WTB Laserdisc Trail 29er ERD

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  emp? 
#1 ·
I post this thread at Wheels and Tires but nobody response.

I want to built a wheel with this rim http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=49026 and alfine hub. The problem is the ERD. WTB site says 605mm. But... I have two pairs of wheels with these rims and the sticker on the rim writes 602 ERD. I can not make an exact measure by myself, on the complete wheels.
Using spocalc for alfine hub and WTB Laserdisc Trail 29er combo:
for ERD 605 -> spoke length 287.7/288.3 or
for ERD 602 -> spoke length 286.2/286.8
Has anyone built a wheel with this rim and what was the ERD you took into consideration?

#3 ·
If you know the nipple lengths in your built-up wheels (12mm?) you could calculate the ERD by measuring the distance from nipple to opposing nipple and then adding 2 x nipple lengths (or adjust this if you don't want the spokes to end up flush with the nipple head).

I've got a long pair of vernier calipers that I use for this but you could make a gauge out of pretty much anything and then measure it against a steel rule.
Personally I'd go by the rim sticker dimension, rather than that given on the WTB website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.