Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Rockhopper std vs comp disc

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Larry_K 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have been given a lot of awesome advice in this forum, and I think I decided that I'm going to buy new. A store by me has a blowout sale. I would prefer not to spend over $500.

My question is about the difference between the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper ($495) vs the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper comp disc ($595)

Is the only difference in line brakes vs disc brakes? Is this feature worth $100?

I'm hoping to get into mountain biking. I don't know how tough the trails will be around here, but I hope to get going on tougher trails pretty quick. So I guess I'm wondering if I need disc brakes or if I should save the money and stick with the standard brakes. Is this just preference, or are disc brakes really that much better?

Also, regarding frame size, I am between 5'8" and 5'9" and I wear pants 30" and 31" long (The only size reference I have...). The bikes come in 15" 17" and 19". What would my size most likely be?

Thanks in advance everyone. You have all been really helpful so far!

-Danny

See less See more
#2 ·
They look to have the same spec, minus the brakes. I personally prefer disc brakes, but I think it's ultimately up to you. They stop easier, they're more sensitive, etc. But they're also $100 dollars more. So it's your decision as to whether you're willing to put in more money for more performance. Don't get me wrong, either...I'm sure rim brakes work quite well (they never let me down in the past), but I personally prefer discs now that I have them.

As far as sizing goes, I'd be willing to bet you're gonna be the 17".

#4 ·
Two other differences: The comp disc comes with a Dart3 instead of the Suntour XCR fork. Both are entry level but most would consider the Dart 3 to be a slight step up from the Suntour. The specs on the wheels/hubs don't match up with each other but it looks like the front on the comp disc is a 32 spoke where the standard is 28 spoke. All else being equal the front wheel on the comp disc might be a bit stronger, which would be good for a beginning rider.

Regarding disc vs rim brakes, if you only ride in dry weather and never run through water/mud you'll be fine with rim brakes but if you think you'll be keeping the bike for a while it's not a bad idea to start out with disc brakes since it will cost you well over $100 to upgrade from rim to disc brakes later. Some of it to me could come down to if you think you'll be staying with that bike for years or if you'll want to upgrade the entire bike if you really fall in love with riding. If you don't think you'll be upgrading the bike go for the standard and keep the $100 in your pocket but if you're plan is to ride it until the wheels fall off go for the comp disc if the extra money won't hurt you too bad.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.