Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

trek 930 vs haro v2

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bevans 
#1 ·
I also posted this in the beginners section(not sure where to post)

I'm looking to get into riding some trails and around the neighborhood and need help and opinions on a bike. I have found a Trek 930 and a Haro V2 for the same price. Does anybody have any opinions or experience with these models? What would you get and why?

Thanks

#2 ·
Ok, let me start by saying that I'm a little biased here and I have no experience with the Haro. I love my 930 and my other 9xx models as well. Solid steel frame, relatively lightweight, decent components depending on level (930, 930, 970, 990) and compatible with todays components. They ride great and are upgrade worthy (to a certain extent) to me.You seem as though you have figured out the type of riding you want to do but I would suggest thinking a bit beyond that.

What kind of price range are you talking?
What shape are they in?
Do you have any experience wrenching on bikes?
Keeping it geared or plans on going single speed?
Does it have a suspension fork or rigid?
Pics?

Some would argue that long term it makes sense to get a new bike but I think the 930 is a great beginners bike....in my biased opinion ;) . I'm no expert here, but there are definitely a ton of gals and guys on these boards with a ton of experience so you should be ok. Also, If you do choose to go single speed, post in that forum you should get a lot of feedback and since it's an older bike you could post in the VRC (vintage, retro and classic) forum for maximum results.

Good luck to you!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

i'm 26 and a complete newb to bikes, havent ridden a bike in probably13 years. I wanted something that me and my GF could do together for exercise, but the idea of hitting trails sounds sweet.
My price range is pretty low, since im not sure if this is something we will stick with. I could get the trek or haro for $150... I wouldnt want to spend too much more then that.

The Haro is in new condition, only ridden a few times and garage kept. The Trek is older but everything is suppose to be in working order.

No real experience wrenching on bikes, but I use to work on cars and a little with scooters and dirt bikes so I think I could handle it.

you lost me after "do i have any experience wrenching"

Here are the links to the bikes

http://macon.craigslist.org/bik/2025515256.html

http://macon.craigslist.org/bik/1975002665.html

Thanks

#6 ·
I ended up buying a Giant iguana w/suntour components for $75. Its an early 90's model and I got it from the original owner. The price was right and if I stick with this hobby I wont feel bad about upgrading. It fits me and the seat is comfortable but its not the nicest looking(black w/purple splatter or speckle).

Anybody have an idea how much bike shops charge to take apart and reassemble bikes? I would like to paint it, but i dont have the tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.