Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fulcrum Red Metal 1 vs CB Cobalt

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Biohazard74 
#1 ·
Looking for a stiff, strong, fast engaging, fast rolling wheelset to replace some heavier WTB Dual Duties I have now. Looking at getting a new wheelset for my Kona Daw Deluxe, and am trying to choose between the Fulcrum Red Metal 1 and Crank Brothers Cobalt. Most of the riding I do is Midwest XC, but a couple times a year we go out to Colorado, Moab, UP, and do some bigger riding. Everything I've been reading about the Fulcrums make them sound like the be-all of XC-AM wheelsets, but I see that Cannondale uses CB Cobalts on its new 2011 Jekyll AM rig, so I assume that they are up to the task. They seem to be about the same price so that;s not really an issue. Feedback? Comments? Opinions on either of these?

#2 ·
I have a set of Red Metal 3's, and I love everything about them.

Haven't ridden CB's wheelset yet, but I have read that they are not worth the $1000 at all. Decide what you want. Red Metal 3's and Red Metal 1's are not far off on weight at all, and the RM3's can be had for $450 to $500 as opposed to almost $800 for RM1. The CB's are $1000 and I have read horror stories.

You can buy all spare parts for Fulcrum Wheels online, so at least you have an outlet to go to if you need parts.

#3 ·
I can not comment on the Red Metals but I bought the Cobalts. I did read some bad reviews but I took a chance. I have about 400 miles on them and I have yet to have a single issue with them. I must mention that I am a very aggressive rider and also not the smoothest and still no issue. I should make it clear that Cobalts are meant to be XC wheels. I noticed that a lot of the reviews that were not good were from people using them for other things other than XC. I think they will be ok for some AM. Also id like to point out that the trails I ride can be considered a bit AM. And I am also not the lightest rider as I fluctuate from 200 to 215 lbs geared up and the wheels have held up without a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.