Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Der Kaiser vs Der Baron (Rain King)

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DeanH 
#1 ·
Does anybody know these tyres and how they perform in different conditions? What are the differences between them? Currently running 2.4 RQ's which are great in the dry and now thinking of the above for wet conditions. Thanks.

#2 ·
rain king is for wet, but is also a dh tire, so not really comparable to a RQ... I think the RQ 2.4s work pretty well in the wet... they don't pack up with mud, and did much better than I thought in a few inches of snow. Unless you need a more aggressive (and a lot heavier and slower rolling) dh tire I'd stick with the RQ.

#3 ·
First off, I haven't ran a Rain King yet.

I've been on some Kaisers for a while now and I've used some UST 2.4 Rubber Queens. The casing on the Kaiser is stiffer and I've noticed it being more stable at equal pressure. The Rubber Queen kinda rolls in hard corners... I think it actually may have more volume than the Kaisers.

#5 ·
one of the ppl i ride with runs both, but says he will ditch the rain king, as they dont really work better then the Kaisers in the wet.

He prefers kaisers, and if he has to run a raintine kinda thing its maxxis wetscreams for super gloop or swampthings.. but in most cases kaiers are his choice also for intermediate gooey stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.