Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OT: Any drywall experts out there?

746 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ripper roo 
#1 ·
Have a question about some work I had done that doesn't seem right. Looking for an expert opinion before I confront them.

#3 ·
I've got 18+ years in the industry (couple years off for various sports) from taping to the software geek estimator that I am now... waddya need to know???

(yeah, I was a comp sci maj. before I got into construction... we don't all make good decisions now do we??? :D)

btw, if it doesn't "seem" right, it's not. It's pretty simple, work should be done till you're happy. (with a few rare exceptions)

Can you take a pic of what you're talking about?

#6 · (Edited)
I'll try and make this short. I'm in Boulder County and building out my basement, inspector said storage under stairs has to be completely drywalled. Told contractor , came home today to find drywall has been GLUED onto the foundation. As fas as I can tell there is no vapor barrier, certainly no insulation as that is now in a pile in basement. Seems to me this is a mold issue waiting to happen, but I'm no expert.

#9 ·
Building codes vary, but up here in summit, foundation walls need to be furred with treated wood, NOT Touching the foundation. Then a vapor barrier between the furring strips and drywall.

I'd have them redo it for the mold issue. (but they are not responsible for framing it)

#13 ·
jay80424 said:
Building codes vary, but up here in summit, foundation walls need to be furred with treated wood, NOT Touching the foundation. Then a vapor barrier between the furring strips and drywall.

I'd have them redo it for the mold issue. (but they are not responsible for framing it)
^ what he said. I don't have a code book nearby, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly in Zone 5, 6 or 7 (not sure what altitude you're at). Hell, they made me insulate under the edges of the slab for my garage floor.

#14 ·
its a fire code issue

in theory you don't need to drywall the foundation wall as long as the joint from drywall to foundation is fully mudded and/or caulked

then again i'm not the ******** inspector who makes up rules as he goes so do what he says

i'd get my inspections as is move on finish the job and tear it all out myself when the job is done or you can force the issue upset cheep azz subs and contractor who appears to be lazy and spend another 150 - 500 in materials and labor to build your wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.