Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Time ATAC Alium

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Duncan2W1 
#1 ·
I did a bunch of research and everyone seems to have good things to say about the Time ATAC's. Do these good reviews apply to the Alium model also, or just to the more expensive models. I saw the following post which said to avoid the Alium model so I wasn't sure. This post called the Alium model the 'old' model and this post is from 2006 so that makes the Alium model pretty old at this point in time. I can get the Alium model for about $60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirdir
I have only used Time ATAC pedals for mtbiking. I now have the ATAC XE. I would not get the old kind, the Time ATAC Alium.

Thanks!
Jim

#3 ·
I've tried Time ATAC's for the last 6 months because of all the raving about them. My personnel opinion is they suck for mtn. biking. The composite body has does not hold up well to the rocky environment we ride in. The pins are pressed in place to hold the springs in place come loose and back out. The trail side solution is to pound it back in w/ a rock. Since they are just pressed in they will continue to back out unless glued back in place. The major problem I have with them is that the cleats are made of brass(SPD's are steel). I've been through two sets of cleats in 6 months and about 1400 miles. For $20-30 for a set of cleats that's just silly. I'd start pulling out of them at the most inconvenient times. I've ran SPD's for 12yrs prior to Time's and only replaced the cleats once(should have been more, but...). Since you're looking at the AL versions you probably won't have the pin issue. However forking out about $100 a year for cleats is stupid. I just don't see what the big deal with Times. SPD's allow for retention adjustment, so when your cleats start pulling out, you can crank down the tension a click or two and milk them a little more. Just my $.02

#6 ·
I just quit Time Atac's 2 months ago and just ride flats now. Good flats with the five ten shoes and they hook up nice and are more solid than clips. Just gotta get used to them for about a month. I hated them at first but now love them. Never going back to clips.

#7 ·
Plus 1 on time ATAC's, alu version. I've been on them for nearly 10 years and never had a problem. I get 18 months or more out of the cleats. They are light enough for xc riding and I've hit several big flat landings on them over the years. As mentioned prior, bomb-proof. I still ride the very first pair that I bought. They are also excellent in mud/wet/rain conditions.

#10 ·
Atac alium pedals rule. They are cheap and never seem to fail. I've been riding mine for 4 years and they have seem many miles and lots of rough conditions. They are bomb proof, great feel when clipped in, and easy to engage.
Look around a bit online though. I seem to remember seeing them for 45$ somewhere online recently.

#13 ·
highdelll said:
Yes
better to wear the cleat than the spring
To me that's a design issue. If both were steel then they should wear together. To use such a soft metal as brass for a high wear item seems like a good way to keep consumers forking it out for cleats. At least Time could have used a softer steel for cleats. My old 747's are still going strong after 12yrs. without any noticeable wear in the retention system.

#15 ·
I've been running my original ATAC's and Aliums for over 10yrs and 1) swapped first set of cleats after yearrrrrrs of riding and the majority of miles, I'd guess +6k on them. and 2) the ATACs spindles are slightly bent because I used to actually jump and catch air while riding clipped in. The Aliums are still straight and in good shape. I actually prefer them to the plastic body cover of the ATAC, not as slippery feeling.
The biggest problem I have is I now have a fused ankle so the only place I ride clipped in is on the road (and if I have to unclip fast on the left I'm crashing), mtn biking is flat pedals with 5.10's or my skate shoes.

#20 ·
DSFA said:
I've been running my original ATAC's and Aliums for over 10yrs and 1) swapped first set of cleats after yearrrrrrs of riding and the majority of miles, I'd guess +6k on them.
It's great that so many of you are getting good wear on your cleats. Maybe they've changed the brass alloy mix? I didn't want to think I could wear through cleats that fast, but when I compared them to new, it was obvious they were worn. One too many surprise releases on technical stuff was the last straw for me. If you can get a good deal on them, so be it. If you don't like them, you can probably make most of you money back and get SPD's.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.