Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Shimano Rotor?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Slurry 
#1 ·
So I have Shimano BR-486 Disc brakes. They came with 160mm rotors front and rear. I'm in the process of upgrading the front to an 180mm rotor.

The original rotor was a Shimano SM-RT61 (160mm), with a ~16.5mm brake track

I am using the Shimano F180P/P adapter that uses two sets of bolts (AFAIK this is the correct adapter)

The rotor i purchased was a SM-RT75MA (180mm), but it has, to my disappointment, a ~14.0mm brake track, and the pads hit the rotor arms. I can add a couple spacers under my adapter bracket to remedy this,but I just want to have the right setup.

The Shimano Techdoc says the M486 needs to run a RT-53M for a 180mm, but this is the C-lock version of the rotor, and I need a 6-bolt. The closest thing to it that I can buy is an SM-RT51M, which both QBP and J&B have. When looking at the picture they provide, it seems that the RT-51 has the same larger brake track as the RT61, but no where have I seen a listed size of the brake track itself.

So, does anyone have this setup and, if so, can you confirm that the RT-51 works with the 486 brakes?

See less See more
#3 ·
EastTNmtnbkr said:
My Trance came with 486 brakes and happens to have 180 on the front. The fork is a post mount and it uses has the F180P/P adapter on it and has a SM-RT51M rotor on it. Hope this helps you out.
Assuming the brake pads hit the rotor fine on your setup, then this is all i needed to hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.