Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RC2 40 FIT 2010 Spring questions ?

809 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Blaster1200 
#1 ·
Got two questions about the spring side of a RC2 40.
First of all have to mention it’s a 2010 FIT RC2 40.

1 : while I tighten the preload knob . The small rod which puts pressure on the plastic spacers works vise versa I think !!!

When I turn the knob clockwise ( + ) the small screw rod goes back in the shell removing pressure off the spring and when I turn it counter clockwise ( - ) it comes out.

Sound odd ! doesn’t it ?

2 : how many of these black plastic spacers should the fork have ?
I remember I have opened many similar forks but from older models. 07- 06 …they all had 4. this one has 3 !! is one missing or its normal in the 2010 models ?

The spring has a noise while the fork goes through the travel . it’s the spring hitting the inner bore of the stanchions. Think the missing plastic spacer causes it. Having less that enough preload force. Lets the spring to play in the position. Right ?

Oh by the way the spring is blue. What type do this color represent ? Hard – soft very hard ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Although the screw part may appear to be going back, the disc around it is coming outward.

2. Starting with the 09 model year, the 40 uses 3 spacers instead of 4.

Yes, the springs can make a lot of noise banging against the outer tube upon compression. Every so often, I pull the spring out and center the shrink tube to quiet the noise for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.