Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

HL spot rockers geometry question

708 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  khani 
#1 ·
Hello! Nice people of the Turner Forum!

I hope some of the experts among you could be kind enough to answer this question eaven though its old story for many of you. I allready read all the old posts but iam still a bit confused.

I love my 06 5spot and hope i will keep riding it forever!

What i dont like is
--the DHX air. It needs the 30%sag to feel plush and then theres nothing on the midlevel and its easy to bottom too. And its heavy too.
--I need to have the pike dialed to 125mm to have the geometry right. (whats the point having long travel fork and onlu use some of the travel!!)

Bb height is not a problem i often hit the pedals but i dont mind. the bike feels very stable and i often ride very slowly trial style with biggish obstacles.

i am considering the Push rockers cos , its christmas time and Darren from the push inc. promised that they have a new set of these available.
but after reading all the old posts iam under the impression that the bike will feel bigger with these and the medium is allready on biggish side to me. and i defenately dont want it feel more slow an corners.

Whats the real world effect with push rockers is the bike noticeable longer , bigger , feelin or higher????

would the newer turner made rockers be an option and would they steepen the front so that i coud use the full travel on Pike?
And improve the suspenssion with rp3orrp23??

Sorry for long post and thank you for your time.

heres the spot on action
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1028121/

See less See more
#2 ·
rikardo said:
Hello! Nice people of the Turner Forum!

I hope some of the experts among you could be kind enough to answer this question eaven though its old story for many of you. I allready read all the old posts but iam still a bit confused.

I love my 06 5spot and hope i will keep riding it forever!

What i dont like is
--the DHX air. It needs the 30%sag to feel plush and then theres nothing on the midlevel and its easy to bottom too. And its heavy too.
--I need to have the pike dialed to 125mm to have the geometry right. (whats the point having long travel fork and onlu use some of the travel!!)

Bb height is not a problem i often hit the pedals but i dont mind. the bike feels very stable and i often ride very slowly trial style with biggish obstacles.

i am considering the Push rockers cos , its christmas time and Darren from the push inc. promised that they have a new set of these available.
but after reading all the old posts iam under the impression that the bike will feel bigger with these and the medium is allready on biggish side to me. and i defenately dont want it feel more slow an corners.

Whats the real world effect with push rockers is the bike noticeable longer , bigger , feelin or higher????

would the newer turner made rockers be an option and would they steepen the front so that i coud use the full travel on Pike?
And improve the suspenssion with rp3orrp23??

Sorry for long post and thank you for your time.

heres the spot on action
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1028121/
Yes, the 5.5 Rockers would be a good option. No, they won't steepen the HA. Turner Rockers will not change geometry, just increase your travel.

The Push Rockers will steepen the HA because they raise the BB, the Turner Rockers do nothing for BB hgt and won't affect HA.

Drop the DHX Air and get an RP23, preferably Pushed. This is will have a large impact on performance.

#3 ·
Pushed Spot

The spot rockers are 5.75" long and yield 5.85" of travel. The pike at 140mm is the perfect match and maintains original geometry. The dhx air sucks for that set up because the leverage is too high. A pushed RP3 will work great. A pushed VanR results in one of the best trail bikes ever.

#4 ·
oceanfissure said:
The spot rockers are 5.75" long and yield 5.85" of travel. The pike at 140mm is the perfect match and maintains original geometry. The dhx air sucks for that set up because the leverage is too high. A pushed RP3 will work great. A pushed VanR results in one of the best trail bikes ever.
By spot rockers do you mean the push rockers or turner made rockers?
Thanks again!

#7 ·
Thank you homers for your wisdom and help!!

So far it seems that replacing the DHX -air with rp3 (preferably pushed one) is a wise move anyway even with the original 5.3 rockers.
but
Is there any point trying to find find the turner 5.5 rockers would there be any gain beside the 0.2 increase of travel???

dependending on the answer ill hopefully able to decide my move on push rockers.

Thanks again
now gotta sleep !

#8 ·
rikardo said:
Thank you homers for your wisdom and help!!

So far it seems that replacing the DHX -air with rp3 (preferably pushed one) is a wise move anyway even with the original 5.3 rockers.
but
Is there any point trying to find find the turner 5.5 rockers would there be any gain beside the 0.2 increase of travel???

dependending on the answer ill hopefully able to decide my move on push rockers.

Thanks again
now gotta sleep !
\\

I don't know how to describe it, I felt like the quality of the travel was different with the 5.5 and the Push Rockers compared to the 5.3's. Both are very similar, but the Push rockers will give you a bit more travel than the 5.5's, and affect the HA the way you want.
Good Luck!

#10 ·
My HL spot has a pushed rp3 and it's super nice. I have a Vanilla 130 up front.

I have thought about the rocker options, and I do not think half an inch of travel by itself makes a huge difference. I think getting the front end slack how you like it, and BB height right for you makes a bigger diff.

Do you live in La Grave?

#11 ·
dont think longer rockers do much good for early spots, the red one actualy cracked on the mounts on the seat tube rocker pivot after running push rockers for a while and i got the raw front end from greg at t,bikes, (then got a red front triangle from someone in one of my wtd adds 2 weeks later, thats how i ended up with 2) if you look at the mounts for the rocker pivot, the raw 08 front triangle has longer mounts on the seatube presumably to run 5.5 rockers than the red one designed for 5.1- 5.3 rockers, worth thinking about maybe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.