Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some pics from Middle Mountain Mama 2010 race

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fueledbymetal 
#1 ·
Helped my riding buddy with the Middle Mountain Mama race at Douthat last week. Turned out to be a nice day, although the humidity felt more like July than early May.
A few pics from my ride - hike into my station.
Some serious Spring Green

Blue Suck Falls

Ferns on Salt Stump

Other trailside pics here
https://s227.photobucket.com/albums...outhat State Park Clifton Forge VA/2010 Race/

Once at my station at the junction of Salt Stump and Middle Mountain I tried to get pics of all the riders. I was late getting there, so I missed some of the first riders (sorry). I left early, took the short route and you XXC riders still beat me to the top of the mountain. My old camera has a 2 second time lag between when you push the button and it actually snaps the picture, so its kind of like shooting skeet. Not the best quality race pics, but I guess the price is right.

Other race pics here from the XXC race
https://s227.photobucket.com/albums... Clifton Forge VA/2010 Race/XXC Race/?start=0
After all the XXC riders past, my "chore" was to sweep out Middle Mountain north to the Forest Service road. I had forgotten how nice that is, even when you hit "The Wall", maybe one of the tightest stretches of goat track around.

Some trailside ingenuity kept this guy rolling

For you folks that placed, heres some of the podium pics
https://s227.photobucket.com/albums... Park Clifton Forge VA/2010 Race/2010 Podium/

I think Jeremy Bishop set a new course record of under 2 hours for 21 tough miles.

The folks from East Coasters cooked up some mean burgers and provided some crucial volunteering for this race.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey that’s my blown up tire with an Apple Cinnamon Hammer Gel wrapper and plenty-o-leaves stuffed in the back to keep the tube in. Thanks for reminding me of what a great race that was.

Say you haven’t just so happened to have been out in the Potts mountain area on the XXC course lately have you?

#4 ·
Hehe your makeshift boot at Douthat made my day. Ingenuity and tenacity of mountain bikers always amazes me. Got to get back to Douthat soon, man I love that place and the country all around it.

Potts Mountain woo hoo. We did a saw through clip through there on the singletrack a couple of weeks ago. Dubbed the Potts Mountain chainsaw death march. Took my legs a week to get over that. That trail is rough and could use 5 times more work than the 4 of us could give it. I am guessing it hasn't been touched since the last race 10 or so years ago. It took us half an hour to find the trailhead.

Low down is its 5.5 miles of skinny, laurelly, steep, and rocky singletrack. All the blowdowns were cut out but it would take a bulldozer to clean out all
the laurels and rhodos. The trail goes off the top of Potts Mountain, drops 800 feet mostly in the first half mile. One 1/8 mile stretch is so steep and rocky I'm not quite sure if I would ride it (we did a walk through). Kinda like Turkey Point at Slatyfork. You drop down to Cove branch and the vegetation gets really thick. Then you climb maybe 400 feet over a mile or so and come out on the Potts Arm. You hang a sharp left on an old road and ride the ridge for a mile or so. Then its back into the laurels for a 1300 foot or so drop on very tight singletrack back to Cove branch. Theres one big rock garden on the descent. I'd carry a tube or 2, hanger, and a boot or in your case an extra candy wrapper:D . The rest of the route is jeep trail and FS road. The jeep trail is like double wide singletrack though. That whole place is wild and wooly. Quite beautiful too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.