Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rider weight ??? (Motobecane Outcast 29)

977 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AlmostQuick 
#1 ·
I want to start by saying this site has been very informative and hope some of you guys can help me out.

I had/have a knee and ankle problems for the past few years and it has caused a lot of weight gain. It's been a combination of nursing my injury and eating terrible and I'm at 5'9" 275 currently. I'm usually around 220 and would like to get back down to somewhere more comfortable. My doc recommended to start biking again. I found a used Motobecane Outcast on CL and picked it up. I really don't plan on doing anything off road, just street in the beginning for exercise. What would be the best gear setup with a bad knee? It's factory setup now, but would like to change the chain ring to something more comfortable. is the factory setup good for street riding?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

#2 ·
Outcasts were shipped with a 42 tooth chainring installed, and a 33 tooth ring in the parts box. Which one is on your bike and have you tried it yet?

If pedaling seems too hard, slow and maybe painful, then you'll want to start off with a lower gear (smaller chain ring or larger rear cog) until you build up strength / lose weight.

Good on you for getting out there on a bike! Best wishes.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.